Painful Mammograms

Hello Jill. Thanks for the sympathy. I am feeling a bit better this morning, though my lymphoedema seems to have flared up in my breast, but it is too painful to massage yet. But it is not like it was when I had cellulitis so I am sure it will soon settle down. I ended up taking some morphine last night, which I have prescribed for my nerve pain in my legs, but don’t usually use because it makes me nauseous. I had a tepid bath this morning and that helped. I think it would be a good idea for you to take some pain killers prior to mammogram. I don’t know how bad your pain in your rib cage is normally, but I usually find anti inflammatories are most effective for that sort of pain. I take naproxen because I have pain all the time and it is longer lasting than ibuprofen. You have to be careful though about taking it with food. I also take omeprazole to protect my stomach as I take it all the time. I try to avoid taking tramadol too much as it can be addictive.I only take paracetamol with tramadol as it makes the tramadol more effective, but wouldn’t take it on its own as it would be completely ineffective for the level and type of pain. I don’t take codeine as it doesn’t work for me -apparently some people don’t have the gene to change it into morphine in the body and I must be one of those people and codeine is a nightmare for making you constipated. Funny to think that before I was diagnosed I didn’t used to take any medication at all -now I think I must rattle! I shall definitely dose myself with tramadol before my echo on Monday -hoping I get the same radiographer as last time as she was really careful. 

Hi Joby. I am glad to hear your mammogram went OK despite you lymphoedema. I think it probably depends on where you lymphoedema is as much as how careful the mammo lady is -I am sure that the lady who did mine could not have been any more careful -she was lovely. I think probably I had a problem as much because of rib problems as the lymphoedema. But it is very reassuring for other lymphoedema sufferers who might be reading this thread that yours wasn’t too painful. I think I have just been unlucky.

Take care and best wishes,

Amero x

Glad you are feeling better,gonna dose myself up for mine.Ribs are painful .

My first mammogram revealed a mass. They did a core biopsy and told me some long name for what it was called but said it wasn’t cancer. The mammogram hurt so much I have not gone back for seven years but I just forced myself to make an appointment for a diagnostic mammogram. 

My question is: Can’t they give you a shot to numb your breast(s) before they do it? I have had a ruptured appendix among other things, so I’m no stranger to pain, but  they are really small and sensitive and the last time hurt so bad I could barely stand it.