Please can I share here as no one else is noticing!

hiya welsh girl,

hope you have a better night tonight and get to sleep thru the small hours rather than be in turmoil. If you are at a loose end, can you tell us about the art work and deadlines you have? I personally feel so out of the loop of the real world at the moment that any outside news of non bc things is very welcome. Don’t feel obliged to, its just an idea for if you are struggling to keep your thoughts up that would also help me! ( selfish, yep, am allowed to be, i have/had bc…)

Big hugs

Vickie

Hi Welsh girl,

I thank you for your wonderful words of support and I feel very sorry that you feel let down and un-supported yourself despite trying to “lift” my spirts. We all experience bad moments or even bad days and I have to say that the only people that seem to understand are those lovely ladies, including yourself on this site and in reality none of us are really alone, we all just live spread out but close by, by using this forum. I just wish we could all meet up and give each other the biggest hug that we can manage. Unfortunately, that cannot be so I am sending some really big cyber hugs to you and hope you get to bed earlier tonight than you did last night.
I hope tomorrow will bring better thoughts, I won’t be online tomorrow as I am attending a university open day for my daughter, delightful I am sure in this hot weather but wish you well!!!
Thanks again for your welcome support.

Marjay xxxx

Bless you all for responding today. I’m still troubled and will have to adapt a new pace while I manage my low mood too. I’m desperate not to slip into depression…

I just wish I could invite you all here to the Kent coast and meet you personally. You’re such grand women with enormous hearts that I am delighted to have met you. Sharing a cup of tea with you would be even better to get to know your histories too. Some of you have had and are continuing to struggle with many different repurcussions from your BC and subsequent secondaries. Please reach out to me if you ever need to I can reciprocate and be supportive despite this difficulty with adapting to life after treatment ends…

After this weekend I will have to re-evaluate my pace, need for perfection and recognise what Mimsy said, February was only yesterday! I love that! I do need to take more time Sandra and it was good to write it all down and even better to receive your collective support and warmth.

I love you all and will post again when I’ve had chance to reassess my progress of recovery. Welsh girl xxx

My BCN phoned me tonight and suggested to take advantage of the supportive therapies offered at the hospital. It was good to speak with her as since I’m better I felt I shouldn’t take up her time.
I’m definitely a person who needs to talk all this through so thank you for hearing my distress call last night. Today I feel heard and that is a wonderful feeling.

Love and hugs to you all from Welsh girl xxx

dear Welshgirl
thank you so much for your real and honest posting in the early hours -I would think that it, and all the postings after it will help a lot of people coming to that stage.
There is so much emotional fall out from this, isn’t there, when in one appointment you can go from being a positive,optimistic, successful woman in the middle of the life you have spent years building up, to someone utterly reliant on others for your very life.
How can we not struggle with that?
then you have months of treatment - invasive, damaging treatment - that you get through with the support of the medical/nursing team, and through all that time, there is that beacon of hope ‘all this will pass’.
So it does, and then you feel worn out, not yourself, in no-mans land, scared, out on a limb, you look different, you want to cover scarring but part of you thinks you shouldn’t have to, you’re frightened of the future and you miss the care and support you’ve been given - and then some nugget comes up and gives you a well meaning hug, and others congratulate you because ‘you’ve done it’ and you are supposed to be elated all the time because you’ve come through it all.
But actually, you haven’t. You’ve started the journey and climbed the first hill (and it was a b*gger!)but there are other hills and valleys to go through. Some of them ARE glorious and some days you feel ready to take on anything and everything, singing as you do it, but other days you need to turn inward and look after yourself. And some days you feel this wonderful peace and life is good, then other days you are in a black hole and things look bleak and frightening or you are so full of rage at the hand dealt to you that you need to be alone or you would have a fight.
Or is that just me???
I’m 51 and this is my second diagnosis. I was 38 the first time. Physically, this one has been tougher and is more aggressive, plus, because its in the breast tissue/chest wall left after a mastectomy, I’m in a bit of a dodgy place, in terms of risk/the future.
But psychologically, this time has been much easier because I understand the trauma of it and took advantage of the psychology service, made sure that I picked my companions carefully (mainly the people who supported me last time)and am kinder to myself.
This forum has been a lifeline to me - I haven’t been on so much recently because I am moving back into the other parts of my life, but to have a place where all our fears, anguishes and anger can be ‘spoken out loud’ is such a great support.
2 years after my first diagnosis, I was sitting in my car, at traffic lights and I just realised that I had moved into a new normality, and the more I tried to move back into the old one (mainly for the sake of family, friends and colleagues)the harder it was to function.
In my old normality I was a mess, I felt disfigured, overweight, lost and emotionally battered, and I felt guilt because I had survived when others hadn’t and yet I was miserable.
But in my new normality I was stronger than before, I had new life lessons tucked under my belt, and I was still around for my kids and OH (kids were 11 and 9 when I was diagnosed) and they loved me.
The point of all this is to say that there is a good life possible after bc, for most of us, but we need to give ourselves time and care, and be our own best friend. Thats not always easy to do, so we need this forum to support each other.
We all have our own way of travelling the journey and we all start at a different place and have different diagnoses, but we can share our traumas and good times and we can care for each other, and that makes a big difference.
This was going to be a two line comment and it has turned into a novella - sorry!
good luck to all of us lets keep on listening and hearing
xxx monica aka pollyanna

Hi Monica,

That ‘two line’ posting was very very well said! You have summed up beautifully and certainly given me hope that I’ll get to your traffic light moment sometime.

Welsh girl, I hope you’re having a good weekend. The Kent coast sounds like the ideal place to be in this weather

Still thinking of you all…

E xx

I’ve also done champagne thing after treatment - promised myself I’d open it after treatment had finished … then put it off till Id seen the surgeon … then the Onc … and it still sits there. I’m so flippin fed up of telling everyone I’m fine and if anyone else tells me I look soooooo well !! I’m one of those people who always looks well but to be honest I’ve so tried this positive thinking lark that I’m burned out , and I’m getting to the point that I don’t much care either way anymore. I find it so hard to be honest here tried to write the next sentence several times but so don’t want to cause pain or appear ungrateful to those who have secondaries and are struggling to keep afloat but I don’t think I’d care anymore - it’s away out. I’ve had to give up my job and my marriage is in serious danger of disintegrating .I really don’t have that much of a reason to keep up the fight or the pretense.So sorry to highjack Welsh girls thread but the champaign thing really struck a cord. Cannot tell anyone how I feel just you lot. So sorry x

Hi Lazydaisy
You are certainly feeling down in the dumps! and why shouldn’t you, we have been through so very much.
I am always being told how well and happy l look, and always reply, inside l am crying, usually makes them go quiet!

It is very hard for people to know what to say to us, if l was ignored l would not like it!everyone l meet wants to talk about my breast cancer and like you l become tired of talking about it.

I suppose there is no happy medium. Most people are very caring and mean well, but do not understand how we feel, that is why l come on here, because we are all in similar situations. And l need that connection with other people, helps me cope.

I find your comments about secondaries…well not sure what to say…just feel very sad you feel like that…l find it VERY hard to understand when you say ‘l don’t think l’d care anymore’ l notice you never said, you dont care anymore! you said 'I don’t THINK l care anymore!! big difference, as there is a bit difference to having breast cancer and having secondaries!!
Your fight with the breast cancer is for your life and no one else! someone said to me, ‘this will be a very lonely journey, something only you can do, no matter what lovely family you have around you, it is still your journey’ how very right they were. l have close family support, but at times feel very lonely, sad, lost, frightened, scared, but l want so much to live for me as well as my family.
Please don’t give up, you have come a long way, you deserve to be kind to yourself. Yes it is going to be very hard, but where there is life…You may not feel it at this moment or next month, but life is really worth holding on to. So grab it with both hands and hold on very tight.
So very sorry you feel so very sad, hope things improve for you.
At least we can rant away and still get support
Lots of Hugs to you
Sandra xxx

Thanks Sandra = god I hate the nighttime it just emphasis’s all the weak spots in our lives = Yes you speak a lot of sense and I’LL JUST HAVE TO BUCKLE DOWN AND GET ON WITH IT - so sorry it was the champagne bottle in the fridge that really brought it home - suddenly realised that at the moment I really don’t feel I have any future with a purpose … yes I know that sounds self pitying and pathetic and this moring I feel so ashamed of myself for ‘going on’ so sorry Welsh Girl it’s unforgivable to hijack someone else’s thread.

You’d think at 62 I’d be able to act like a ‘grown up’ not some unworldly teenager! Just so dreading the future.

Hi Lazydaisy, Hope you are feeling a bit better today, so hard to get use to the rough days! far too many of them!
But hang on in there, you have done too well to give up now.
Have a Good Day, wishing you happier days ahead, as l do to everyone,
Lots of Hugs and thoughts of you and everyone
Hope you are a bit brighter Welsh Girl
Sandra xxx
ps. Lazydaisy, you are a spring chicken! l am 63 and l am a spring chicken, so you must be too! xxx

Thanks again Sandra - Monica has used a good phrase - to para phrase she said something like ’ You need to be your own best friend '. I’m going to hold that thought … and drink that bl…dy champagne that way I wont keep looking at it. To be honest I am wondering now I am calmer and in the cold light of day if it’s the medication I’m on shed load for the pulmonary embolism and heart! don’t know if they are playing about with my emotions - feel so like welsh girl and it really isnt like me.

Lazydaisy, I’m sorry you’re experiencing such a spiral of negative thoughts. It’s frightening to think that it is all going to collapse like a set of dominoes…
The fear of falling and losing control is the worst.
You believe you cannot give it any more effort. I refer to it as trying to keep ‘the emotional fire burning brightly’ and it is so tiring isn’t it?

The last week or so has been difficult for me and I eventually reached out here on the forum and I received that wonderful gift of being heard because beneath the veneer of ‘burning brightly’ I was silently screaming for HELP! I think you might be feeling even deeper than that…???
I had a deadline to meet and promised myself that after reaching it I would stop and reassess. I haven’t reassessed yet but I have slept!
I can’t tell you how many hours I have slept! You’d be shocked!!!
But I think rest/sleep is one part of the solution we don’t often give ourselves as women because we have so much to do all the time and I am including well women here too. I had to get to a sort of crisis point to recognise the pressure we put ourselves under. The pressure to get better, feel better, stay better, look as if we feel better, act better, dream better and be better and all the time we can’t maintain it, can we?
I struggle when the ‘act’ starts to slip and I’m sure that’s where we all are at times…
Thank you Daisyleaf for your insightful response, I needed to be reminded that I need to become my best friend again. I have had the opportunity to restart my life since BC and that has been a real bonus! I had a new vision to how I would evaluate the past and make changes. I want to make those changes but maybe a little slower…
And I need to fulfill those basic needs of recovery. Diet, sleep, interest and support.
I’d managed the diet and the interest but was rushing around so much that sufficient rest was forgotten and when the support became rather strained from my own self I reached out to the forum. It was the right thing to do because you swept me up into your arms and held me. You are so wonderful.

Lazydaisy I trust you can feel supported here too.
And remember the deep rest can help the spiral of despair from growing.

I was told to think of being ‘depressed’ is the time when you need deep rest! I have suffered with depression often in my life.
(say it a couple of times and you’ll realise my meaning!)

DEPRESSED = DEEP REST

Love from a refreshed Welsh girl xxx
I know I am lucky to have come out the other side and I have not forgotten that so many of you are still on the treadmill of treatment. Respect for you all.
I’m one of the lucky ones who doesn’t require the maintenance treatment to keep BC at bay.

Thanks so much for your support and very accurate insight . Each of you have hit the nail on the head when describing how I feel. It just creeps up on you - thought I was doing really well then wham!! sadly no George Michael… but then he’s gone off as the years go on.
I will make an effort to rest and make it quality deep rest - yes I agree it is a great healer.

Tell me - are Welsh Girl and Sandra professional journalists because your prose really do have the clarity of those in the game …note NOT ‘on the game’ !! really am valuing this thread thank you all so much Stephanie xx

Hi Lazydaisy, Just been reading this thread for the first time and just had to write and say how sorry I am that you are feeling so low. I’m 62 as well and I have secondaries in my liver and spine after 18 clear years so I do understand how you feel. Mine was diagnosed in Jan and at first it was devastating. However, I’ve got to grips with it now and although I do have some ‘down’ days, I picture the cancer as a nasty little beast tormenting me and I refuse to let it beat me, so every time I get down, I remind myself that if I give in to it, it means the little beast is winning. This probably all sounds like a complete load of rubbish but it works for me. Try it, you’ve nothing to lose and it just might help. Come onto the ‘Feeling Low’ thread if you want to. There are several of us on there who have become great ‘cyber’ friends and we talk and moan and laugh and cry every day. You’d be more than welcome to join us and you say anything you want and get loads of support from all of us. Take care and treat yourself to something deliciously sinful. Hope you have a peaceful and happy sleep. Goodnight, god bless, lotsa love, Dianne x x x

Thanks Jodie - your story makes me feel very ashamed and humble. How can I find ‘Feeling Low’ feel everyone on this thread needs a break from my moaning on…and on …

So many thanks to everyone for being there I don’t know what I would have done without you all. A bit better today - still swinging in and out but more in control …I think.

Welsh Girl I so hope you are feeling better today , thinking of you all constantly , knowing my problems are nothing compared to what most of you are going through
Sleep well
Steph XX

Hope you sleep well, too, Steph.

Ann xxx

Unfortunately I’m continuing to spiral out of control…
Spoke to GP earlier in week and after meeting her today she thinks my brain chemistry is definitely involved. I’m going through a bi-polar episode which is very frightening as I feel quite out of control, confused and without focus!
The fatigue and leaden feeling are quite overwhelming!!!
Just want to sleep for ever…

I had previously posted asking for support for my isolation after treatment had finished. I thought I’d done quite well but then the cracks seemed to appear and I felt alone and confused as to how to look after myself. My body and emotional needs seemed to be in conflict. How did I keep the low moods at bay where I needed rest and calm but my body needed exercise and stimulation to continue physical recuperation??? It was such a trial.

I looked after my body better than my head and now I’ve crashed!!!

I’m sorry if you feel I’ve mislead you into supporting me for post BC symptoms whereas I was actually sliding into a bi-polar episode!
I’ve only ever had two episodes before so the symptoms can still be quite difficult to recognise.

Now I have the long wait for psychological services to step in…
I’m not holding out much hope though…
In my experience it takes 3/4 months to get to the top of the list and by that time you’ve phoned every helpline in the land!
I wish there was support like BCC for my current diagnosis.

Thinking of all of you experiencing difficulties with BC and secondaries. I follow your stories avidly and admire your attitudes and determination with total respect.

Welsh girl xx

Hi Steph, If you click onto ‘latest posts’ under the Community heading and scroll down them, you’ll see the one called ‘Feeling Low’. Please come on there and you can rant away and none of us mind, cos’ we all do it. I do hope you are feeling a bit better today, you’re not alone honestly, we’re all here for you.

Welsh Girl, I’m so dreadfully sorry to read about the problems you are having, I don’t know anything about bi-polar disorder so I’m not able to make a valuable contribution, except to say that you are in my thoughts and prayers as I’m sure you will be in many others. I’m sending lots of love and hugs to you and please, please let us know how you get on.

Take care of yourselves, loads of love, Dianne x x x

Hi Welsh girl,

Really sorry to hear of your situation and I am sure that you will come through especially with support from the ladies on here. I know that this is extremely worrying for you but just remember you WILL get better but it will take time, unfortunately no “quick fixes”, I wish there could be. I know this next bit is very different to us with BC, but I do hope it may help to give you some encouragement. I worked with a very senior manager who is unfortunately blind, now losing what little sight he had and has a wonderful guide dog, he also has bi-polar. A year ago, he phoned me at work asking me to meet him, he admitted to taking an overdose and didn’t feel he could talk to anyone else at that time. I did meet him and took him into A/E and tried to get him into the “system”. That is, I appreciate really frustrating dealing with waiting lists etc, however his journey wasn’t easy, I had phone calls at various times day and night and in the bleak times, from the police as well. I am pleased to say that when he managed to get the support he needed, he “bounced back” albeit slowly and has returned to work (less than 3 months later on a phased return), at a senior level and has also been a great support to me from my diagnosis through treatment. I guess what I am saying is, have you good friends that can be there for you and lend you support (Am I right in thinking your family are not near by - from a previous post)? Also can you not access the service you need sooner rather than later, if not, could the breast team help, as your dx has probably had an influence on your situation and has upset the normal balance that you have managed to achieve? You need the professional support NOW and I would suggest that you use everythng and anyone so that you can achieve that support.
I do hope that you will soon be feling more like your old self and that you get the required support soon.
Take care and hugh cyber hugs are on their way to you,

Marjay xxxxxx

Oh Welshgirl don’t you be apologising for anything - what you are going through is part of who you are, and we all experience bc in our own context. No wonder you have had such a struggle, and I’m not at all surprised you have been confused about the cause of your feeling rotten.
what can we do to help? If you can tell us, I would guess you have a bunch of cybercarers who will happily support you.
A word with your bcn might be able to get you into the system sooner so that you can get the help you need.
there are lots of us behind you - don’t forget that
monica xxx

Hi Welsh Girl - Oh bless you you didnt mislead us - we proberly jumped to wrong conclusions my problem wasnt related to BC either but I turned to this thread for help and you and others where there for me - I’m here for you along with the rest of the gang.
It’s the waiting isnt it that can really get you down - knowing you need help now not in 12 weeks time . Oh to go and live in Camelot a perfect world.

No magic answers to your problems but as you would have told me take one step , day , hour at a time don’t push yourself and absolutly no demands on yourself. But I guess you already know all this.

Sleep well Stephxx