Positive sentinel node after biopsy

I would like to hear the experience of anyone who had sentinel node biopsy which found cancer in the nodes - what happened next? Etc Sarcath

Hi Sarcath

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums where I am sure you will find valuable support, information and advice from your fellow users.

In addition, Breast Cancer Care have written a ‘Resources Pack’ for anyone newly diagnosed with breast cancer which you may find helpful to read, it is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. You can download it from the following link or you can ask for a copy to be sent to you via the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

There is information in the pack about our other support services, including our helpline which you may find useful to use at some point if you need to talk anything through or just need someone to lend an understanding ear.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind Regards

Lucy
Breast Cancer Care

Hi sarcath,
I’m 44 and was dx with ILC back in June. Had wle and snb in July. I had two sentinel nodes removed and unfortunately both had micrometastatic spread. The recommended treatment plan - which I’m undergoing at the moment - was to have chemotherapy first (6 x FEC), followed by surgery to remove remaining nodes (axillary dissection), followed by radiotherapy and then tamoxifen / aromasin treatment for 5 years (my bc is ER pos, PR pos, HER2 neg). This is all intended to prevent recurrence.

Anneli
-x-

Hi Anneli
Thanks for your reply. It has done something to reassure me - my surgeon is not very good on explanation and I just found myself swept along by things and only thought of all the questions afterwards!! I felt - and feel - that in my case it would have been best to go for clearance in the first place, since the tumour was known to be quite large - otherwise similar diagnosis to yourself. I am currently on chemo ( 3 FEC + 3 Taxotere ) with radiotherapy to armpit and chest wall to follow - clearance is not planned. When I queried this I was told I could have it if I wanted but it would delay radiotherapy to chest wall. It has worried me to think there could well be 20 affected nodes smoldering away. I should mention that I was told by one oncologist that chemo would be less effective for me because I had chemo previously for an unrelated cancer. This also makes me feel I would have bee better off with all removed while I was in surgery.
Anyway your story has certainly helped me!
Sarcath