Possible recurrence during chemotherapy

hi, I’m wondering if anyone our there has had a similar experience to me… Because I’m panicking!!! I’m 31 diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in Dec 15. It was multi focal with largest focus onlu 1.6cm but only in one breast. It was oestrogen positive, pr and her2 negative. Lymph nodes clear. I had a mastectomy with immediate diep reconstruction at to end of January this year. I then had one round of fertility treatment and 8 weeks after my operation started chemotherapy. I’m planned for six cycles of FEC followed by radiotherapy. During the surgery the location of the tumours was such there was no surgical margin. So that’s the background… 10 days ago (the day after my second cycle of FEC) I notice some lumpiness around the original site of the lump I felt initially with some discolouration if the skin. I just assumed it was some scarring but I mentioned it to my oncologist at a routine meeting and was sent back to the breast surgeons. 10 minutes later I’m back in the ultrasound room with a biopsy needle in my breast. The surgeon was reassuring that it was probably scarring, but the consultant radiologist told me outright (and more scarily was confident enough to put pen to paper!) that it is a local recurrence… Seeing as it’s only been 3 months since they cut the damn thing out I am freaking out!!! 

Nothing is certain yet as I’m awaiting my biopsy results next thurs but I’m the type who likes to read EVERYTHING I can to prepare myself… And I cannot find anything of anyone in this situation (that is, if the biopsy does show cancer again). Does anyone out there have a similar story? Or can point me in the direction of any info as to just what this means for me long term? I’ve searched academic papers, cancer websites forums etc and can find very little…

help!

xx

Hi Nw31, 

It sound like you are going through quite a difficult and anxious time. I am sure some of our users will be along very soon to show you some support and share any similar experiences.

If you would like to talk, please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about what you have found, help answer any questions you may have and offer a friendly ear. I have put the opening times below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy