private treatment

I am soooooooo thankful for my health insurance as being under 30 i went to docs with a lump and was told i could only be referred ‘non urgently’ as all patients under 30 aren’t considered ‘at risk’ so a wait of up to 2 months was the time given!!! Knowing my body and knowing something was very wrong i pleaded with them to be told just wait…

I called my private health insurance and was seen the next day, referred for scans and biopsy-booked in for 2 days later but went to the hospital same day and they called the sonographer/special Dr man at home and he drove back whilst i waited!! Done tests there and then, recieved results 2 days later and had another biopsy and mammo next day-given results 2 days later…Booked for surgery 3 days after, had every scan on earth done beforehand and given results same day…Operated on, 1 chemo down and all before my nhs appointment came…Totally invaluable to me…Top consultant surgeon calls and texts me to keep up to date with everything and has been a great support to hubby too!! He’s like my 2nd bc nurse and counsellor if i need it…A little like my dad too telling me off if i’m being silly! I’m sure NHS would’ve been great if i’d have been seen within 2 weeks but sadly i didn’t have that option…
I am the youngest patient to be treated with bc & chemo in the hospital so everyone knows me personally which is lovely…And honestly i don’t know any of my friends at 25 to have private health care so i feel soooo lucky that hubby took it out in 2006…At the time a very big expense for us, but now…worth every penny and more…
Sorry for going on but it truly has made the world of difference to me!!
Lauren.x.x.x

Just wanted to clarify that I was told my her2 test would take 5 wks, partly due to culture needed, partly backlog, but as I said, it was 9 wks and only got it then coz Mac nurse chased it up.

If people have private treatment in a private hospital I don’t have a problem with that, but as we all know, private treatment is carried out in most if not all NHS hospitals, usually by the same med team.

I don’t think private patients get their tests done more quickly. I waited nearly a month for my results after mastectomy and was told my er status but it took several more weeks before my onc knew my pr or her status. You do save some time because the consultants ring you when the results are in so you don’t have to wait for an appointment or a letter.

I am with the NHS and saw my GP on Nov 10 2005 and 2 weeks later had 2/3 days of tests/ biopsies and a bone scan. I was given my diagnosis on Dec 7 and given tamoxifen and zoladex straight away.I think as I was definitely having a mastectomy Iwas not top prority as it had spread through the whole breast (so no chance of a lumpectomy) Also I suppose Christmas got in the way. I had my mastectomy on Jan 10 and started chemo 3 weeks after that. I have been very satisfied wit my healthcare in Edinburgh. Even the food at the Western isnt that bad.

I’m an NHS person by choice too, my sis was diagnosed with the invasive lobular cancer almost a year to the day before i was… she went private and i went NHS…

she had a private room and own bathroom, i share with 5 ladies having gynae ops (and aint there always a whinger/gabber on the ward!!! - i was only in 2 night but envied the lady who had no hearing as she couldn’t hear the moaning or the snoring!!!). her food was excellent - mine was good and i had no complaints…

what she didn’t get was any BCN services and she didn’t actually like any of the docs who treated her - whereas i have a real set of honies… she had to go to GP if problems whereas i can just ring the hosp.

Our timescales for ops and treatment match - her only advantage was less time sitting in a waiting room…

i think people have to do what feels right for them.