Puckering along scar line

Hi everyone, I’m after some advice. I’m just over 9 weeks post lumpectomy for ER+ PR+ primary bc. Margins and lymph nodes were clear and I started radiotherapy last week. I’m 2 rounds down with 3 to go but noticed a puckering along the scar line on my breast. It wasn’t there before and I wondered if it’s just a side effect of the radiotherapy? I really don’t want to bother anyone if it’s nothing but I’m a terrible panicker at the best of times. Has anyone else experienced something similar once radiotherapy started?

Hi Sharon,
I’m a year post radiotherapy now and I noticed the same at the time, one of the lovely nurses ensured me that it can take up to a year until the breast heals and slight puckering is just part of the breast healing at different rates. I still have slightly drawn skin at the incision but have realised this will probably be the new normal. I hope radiotherapy goes well for you.

3 Likes

Thank you @mazz1066 … I was hoping that would be the case.

Hi SharonP

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable that you worry about the breast changes you’re having during your treatment.

It’s early days following your surgery and healing of the wound is still taking place. Radiotherapy can also cause skin changes to occur whilst having the treatment and sometimes when radiotherapy has finished.

As @mazz1066 says, puckering of the scar can change over time, or this maybe how the scar will appear after healing has taken place.

However, it’s important to contact your breast care nurse or radiotherapy radiographers to check that the puckering is within normal limits. You are certainly not bothering anyone unnecessarily.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

1 Like