Question on possible recurrence

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice. I had IDC following DCIS 8cm and a mastectomy in 2021. They discovered 5mm of IDC and lymph nodes clear after sentinel biopsy and the IDC was pr positive. No chemo following an oncotype test as too small to analyze.
They said chance was I think around 6% recurrence and I am on tamoxifen with no major symptoms. In early 2023 I had some raised skin around underarm same area as mx. I was seen promptly and an ultrasound came up clear.
However following my yearly mammogram which was clear and an ultrasound to double check, one of my lymph nodes is enlarged on same side as MX. They did a biopsy and going for a CT scan this week. Naturally very worried it’s back and because I didn’t have chemo at the time am worried it’s now a secondary. Have you seen this before?

You must be very worried as it brings back all the memories of before I too had a double masectomy in December 23 I had lobular in one and ductal in the other lymph glands clear and oncotype ok still not sure but feel I should of had a bit of chemo due to my family history too :pensive: keep us updated I start my tamoxifen tonight fingers crossed they do not affect me xx

Yes it’s not easy at all. And jumping to worst outcomes. Feel like if I had chemo would have been better served now who knows. Hard to go back there and second guess everything and I did the genetic testing too which all came up clear.

Re tamoxifen I am on a brand called Arcana- Mylan and I had no symptoms or side effects at all. First week or so got a few headaches but that’s all. Would recommend to find a brand that suits you and stick with that brand. Lots of options out there.

Will keep you posted how I get on! Stay strong x

6% is a low risk of recurrence. I am doing chemo to get it down to that amount. What these tests do is tell you if chemo would add anything of benefit or not and in your case, the test deemed it negligible. I can totally understand how worried you are feeling and also the urge to wonder what if but modern medicine is becoming extremely tuned in to just where and when chemo would make a big difference hence using the tests such as Oncotype or Prosigna x

Hello SL255,

Thanks for posting.

Its understandable to be concerned about breast cancer recurrence after finding an enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes can swell for a range of different reasons. You can read more about this here.

Following your surgery in 2021. decisions about your treatment plan will have been discussed by the multidisciplinary team (MDT) at your hospital to determine what’s best in your individual situation.

Any treatments will depend on a number of factor such as the type, grade, size and stage of the cancer. Other things such as margins, hormone receptors and HER2 levels will also be considered.

Not everyone will need chemotherapy as with you and @sammie but for some like @newbie1 it will be recommended.

It sounds as though your breast cancer was diagnosed early and you are currently on tamoxifen. Its good however that you are having all the necessary tests to check this out.

We know waiting for tests and test results can be a difficult time, hopefully you don’t have a long wait for some answers. Other women will have experienced something similar and you may want to post on this section of the forum. Details of all our services are here

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.