Questions to ask?

Hi, this is my first time on the forum and I’m hoping someone might help me pose questions in preparation for my results mtg with Consultant and BCN tomorrow. Had grade 2 IDC removed & SNB; 3 nodes tested, the ‘hot’ node was clear but other 2 had cancer; full node clearance 3 days later. I was told that I ‘may’ have chemo (given my age, 54), even if the rest of the nodes are clear (original plan was surgery then radiotherapy). I asked about an MRI but was told that if chemo is required, my lungs, liver and bones will be xrayed / scanned before chemo starts. I’ve also been advised that chemo is ‘probable’ given my circumstances. I’ve read that some women are given a choice of chemo based on statistical advantages, also read that cancer can travel through the bloodstream even if lymph nodes are clear. I’ll ask about this but would be grateful for advice on questions I should ask from anyone who has been in a similar situation. Thank you in anticipation.

Hello Hopefulholy

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence you may like to phone our helpline  where you can talk to a member of staff who are there to support you. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open again in the morning and normal hour are Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

I was in the same situation - grade 2 IDC with 2 sentinal nodes positive. I had further operation to remove 5 lymph nodes all clear. I am 60. Statistics showed 3% benefit at 10 years for mortality and 6% for recurrence so oncologist said I could consider chemo but could clarify this with a test which is being trialled at the moment - IHC4 test which could predict my risk of recurrence. Test came back saying I am at low risk so they did not advise chemo. This test is for oestrogen positive post menopausal women.  There is also the Oncotype test which is has been used in US for several years and is available on the NHS now. I wish you all the best.