Radiotherapy after surgery

Hello,

I’ve just finished chemo and am due to have surgery. I had a mastectomy at the beginning of my treatment with lymph node clearance, but my surgeon didn’t get clear margins. He would like to do surgery to take more tissue in 7 weeks time, then radiotherapy after. I’m worried this is a long time to wait! Surely radio is more important than more breast surgery? I’m concerned if there is cancer in my collarbone lymph nodes it may spread in this time as it was originally in my level 3 lymph nodes. Please can I find out your opinion on this treatment plan? Thank you

Hello clarebear1985,

Thanks for posting.

Its understandable you are concerned about the wait for further surgery.

We cannot offer an opinion on this treatment plan but do speak to your surgeon about your concerns. It’s likely this approach was agreed by the multi-disciplinary team. The surgeon or breast care nurse can explain why further surgery is the most appropriate way forward in your individual situation.

You may be interested in the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines for early and locally advanced breast cancer. Radiotherapy after mastectomy is discussed on page 32.

You may also want to post on this section of the forums to connect with others who may have had a similar experience. And here are the details of all our services.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.