radiotherapy and corrective surgery

Just a nudge for everyone: I had WLE on both sides followed by radio on both sides, no chemo needed thankfully. Because the WLEs took different amounts of tissue, I now have very lopsided boobs(known as Droopy and Perky!)and would like a reduction on one side. HOWEVER because of the radio, there is deep reluctance to do this, due to possibilty of poor wound healing, in spite of being reassured for 2 years that this would be possible.
So ladies, make sure you discuss your options for any corrective surgery before you sign consent forms for initial surgery. I know it is difficult to think that far ahead when you are in a state about your diagnosis/treatment plan, but you need to establish just exactly what your options will be after surgery and radio so that you don’t have unrealistic expectations.
I am 64, finished all the heavy stuff, just on arimidex for the next 5 years, looking forward to good future, and count my blessings every day that I’m alive and well. So good wishes to you all.

Glad to hear you came through everything safely. I’m 53 and didn’t have rads or chemo but had mastectomy with implant reconstruction on left plus reduction on right. I’ve been left lopsided and badly scarred as it’s taking nearly 21 weeks for my wound to heal on recon side following infection/removal of haematoma. At the end of the day though I’m still here, although feeling isolated, but grateful to be alive for my sons. It’s good to see people moving on and sharing their stories. Take care x

It does sound like you’re having a grim time of it, so I send you all best wishes for a good outcome. Haemotomas can be nasty things, I know.

I don’t describe myself as LUCKY - getting BC is most definately not lucky - but I do count myself as FORTUNATE that medical science has progressed so much over the last 50 years.

Don’t feel isolated, hard I know - there’s lots of lovely people at BCC and on this website for support and letting us have a rant.

And I do hope your sons are OK and being supportive where they can - I imagine it’s harder for boys to cope than girls cos lads often can’t empathise about Lady Bits.

Take care.