Radiotherapy and tamoxifen together or one after the after

My oncologist has given me a prescription of tamoxifen to start taking. My radiotherapy starts on August 2nd and I am surprised that I will be on hormone treatment at the same time as having radiotherapy. Is this normal - I thought that hormone treatment would start once the radiotherapy had finished? Any knowledge or experiences on this matter gratefully recieved

I started taking tamoxifen just over two or three weeks after my chemo finished and had just started radiotherapy.

Hope this helps

Love and take care
Thistle

I started hormone treatment at the same time as radiotherapy.

Margret

I started Tamoxifen at time of radiotherapy. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Hi Syoull,

I started taxoxifen before I started me rasds but after I finsihed chemo. My onco consutant wrote to my GP and requested that I be prescribed. He also told me to start taking the tablets beforerads started.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care & best wishes

Jan

I started tamoxifen directly after surgery (Jan 2004) and had radiotherapy from March 25 to April 19 2004 so I was taking tamoxifen at the same time. Radiotherapy acts locally on the cells in the breast which may have been left behind after surgery. Tamoxifen works on the whole body and is designed to stop any cells which have gone beyond the breast developing into cancers elsewhere.

Mole

Thanks for all those helpful replies. I feel very reassured now and will start taking the pills.

Sally