Radiotherapy or ANC

I had a SNB with 1 positive node out of 3. I will be having a lumpectomy soon, but am reluctant to have a full node clearance. Have seen some reports that radiation to the axilla cuases less problems than ANC - has anyone else taken this option?

Hi Bobtail61

I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies to your question as yet, but hopefully someone will now see your post and get back to you.

In the meantime, you are most welcome to give our helpline team a call and have a chat with them, they’re here to support you through this.  Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open monday - Friday 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Bobtail - I had macromet in the one Sentinel Node sampled (my surgeon was absolutely convinced it would be ok, hence only took the one node), and a retired Consultant Oncologist friend mentioned this recent research when I expressed concern re ANC and lymphoedema risk.
I was convinced enough by reading the research paper to refuse ANC and request RT to axilla instead. I have not yet had any regrets … tho as today was number 8 of 15 RT sessions I guess I am perhaps at a little too early a stage to judge. I needed a full mastectomy for Invasive Lobular Cancer, and tho it took a while to arrange, immediate DIEP reconstruction.
I hope you have had appropriate support in making your own decision about ANC or RT for axilla, and that you are content with your choice. All very best wishes and hugs… x

Hello Bobtail,

I watched a You Tube presentation on the PROSNOC Trial which was very informative. There are 8 parts starting with an Introduction and finishing with a questions and answers session where ladies seek clarification on their specific concerns. You may find Part 8 helpful before making any decisions on ANC or RT even though you may not be participating in the Trial.

Here is the link:
m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUrYmXVKiqwKTDIY2rrByUOg&v=GzEaFgl5kA4&params=OAFIAVgI&mode=NORMAL

All the very best,
M x

Good to hear these first steps have been ok Bobtail - the rest has been straightforward for many people and may well be equally ok - and certainly will be “do-able” - for you. Good Luck and all very best wishes as you follow your path onwards.
Hugs x x x

Found lump in left boob before xmas, went Dr,s she referred me to QE women’s hospital had mammogram,ultrasound, & biopsy in January got results 28th ,stage 2 breast cancer had lump removed also 2 lymph nodes 12th feb had to wait till Monday 16th march for results, they said breast clear also lymph nodes clear as a precaution they said 3 1/2 weeks of radiotherapy & tamoxifen went back to hospital 18th to discuss things gotta go for a scan 24th March then think 2 weeks after start radiotherapy was told tamoxifen could make monthlys a bit erratic or lighten them or bring on the menopause don’t know if others may have this problem but I’ve come on earlier & heavier only been taking them since the 18th so 5 days I’ll be 50 in May is this normal or think tablets not agreeing with me have suffered in past with 2 small fibroids & 2 small cyst but nothing was ever done about them. To any one else with cancer or fighting it I wish you well x