Radiotherapy starts june

Well that’s another one in the bag! It was a bit rushed today as they had a machine down, but I would rather be rushed through than wait for a long time.
Burny booby now. It feels as though I’ve been sitting in the sun too long on one side!
Hope everyone had a nice weekend xx

Hi - I hope you are all getting on okay. I start my sessions on Monday so would be grateful for any hints or tips! Best wishes, Ali

Hello
11 sessions of 15 done :slight_smile: so far nothing to say, no burn, no tiredness, nothing :slight_smile:
I hope you all are/will feel the same way
Xx
Paula

Paula, glad to hear you are progressing through it - nearly done now!

Fluffy, so sorry to hear that you are having such problems - at least the onc is keeping an eye on it now. I hope they sort it out quickly for you.

Best wishes everyone, Ali

Hey ladies, sorry I’ve not kept up to date but radiotherapy has not been agreeing with me :frowning:
I’ve been throwing up for almost a week, have v sore throat, dry cough, finding it difficult to catch my breath, burny cleavage and collar bone.
I eventually 'fessed up to all this yesterday and now have meds to help.
All this from the girl who sailed through chemo and surgery without a complaint…

Buzz - so sorry to hear that. I hope the meds kick in soon. Sending you hugs and best wishes. Ali

Hi Ladies
I am starting radiotherapy tomorrow 20 Jun. I am a bit nervous as to how I feel after the session. I was told that I will be having 25 rounds although my DC is was non invasive. Has anyone had as many as these.
?

Hi Billian, I was told 25 is the standard for DCIS in my area although there are clinical trials into the optimum frequency. Some areas have a different number as standard because there have already been trials into breast cancer (though not specifically DCIS). Not sure I’ve explained that well! I would also have had 25 (I start on Monday) but have gone into the trial and have been “randomised” to get 16 + 8 boosts … 24!!

I hope everything goes well today. Best wishes, Ali

PS My DCIS was non invasive too, so very similar to you.

Hi all,

Make sure you drink enough water as I think it dehydrates you.   I used to take a water bottle and drink some before and after treatment. 

Jaye x

I agree Paula about different machines.

I had 40 Gy in 15 fractions - I found that out from a copy letter I had from the oncologist to my doctor.

Jaye x

Good afternoon all! I feel so much better now that I have meds for my inflamed oesophagus, no indigestion, vomiting, I can breath properly too. Tomorrow is my last session ?
I agree with the comments about the machines, the newer linacs mean you have 15 sessions and if you have a WLE you may need boosts on top of that number.
Hope you are all doing well. I’m away to walk the dog while the sun is shining xx

Buzz - glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck with your last session today.

Paula - that must be so frustrating for you. I’m sure it will be okay, but I guess like me you just want to get it over and done with.

Best wishes everyone. Ali

Hi SJB

I had 15 the same and was fine.  

I found the tiredness only really kicked in with me towards the end of treatment.  

When do you start?

Jaye x

Hello ladies
Is official, I’m done with my rads :smiley: 15 sessions done, mission accomplished!
I feel a bit tired, but besides rads I am having lots of work and lots of kids programs to go, so is not just rads making me tired is everything
Besides tiredness and a boob that is more sensitive than usual, no side effects, thanks God.
Hope you all are going well
And for you ladies, starting in the upcoming weeks, a word of hope: I found it not so hard as I was expecting
It really depends on several expects but have hope :)and save time to rest and recharge batteries while on treatments. Don’t be to hard on you
Take care
XxOaula

Paula

So pleased that you’ve finished your rads - and to hear you so positive. It definitely helps us who are following. I’m one week in but am thinking of it as over 20% done!! Keep in touch with us and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes to everyone. Ali

Good Morning, I am new to this forum and have found it to be so informative and supportive as my 80 year old mom was diagnosed with invasive BC at the end of March. She had a WLI which she recoverd from really well and we started the 15 sessions of rads on 24th june, so far so good. I think the hardest part so far has been the journey as it is a 2 hour round trip. Her last treatment will be the 15th of july. I cannot fault the treatment and care she has recieved , her surgeon has even used mom as a case study to show the success of treatment of ladies of her age. For me personnaly to be able to be reassured by this forum rather than have to ask questions in front of mom has been so helpfull, to know you are not alone .

Fluffy, I’ll be doing a jig for you too on Weds :).

So far I’ve been fine (except for the parking at the hospital, but that’s another story!). A little achey, but in a similar way to how it was a couple of weeks after my WLEs. Certainly do-able so far, and it helps to hear how you have all got on so I know what might happen next.

Suph, sorry to hear about your Mum, but it sounds as if she has plenty of support from you so hopefully she will do fine. I agree about the travelling - I’m not as far away as you but it gets tiring, especially if the traffic is bad; or if the RT machine is running late.

Take care, everyone, Ali x

Hi Atat, I had WLE on 16 April, re-excision on 14 May as margins weren’t clear. Radiotherapy then started on 23 June. But reading various threads on here it varies a lot by individuals and treatment plans. Best wishes, Ali

Hi Songbird
I’m so happy you have finished also :slight_smile:
And you are right, we must give some rest to our body and mind - today I’m in bad mod :frowning: but just because …
I will be just in Tamoxifen and so far just light hot flashes. Hope you find yours “light” too :wink:
Keep well :slight_smile:

Mary - so pleased for you. Best wishes for the future. Ali