Recall letter

Hi everyone. I’ve just registered. My anxiety is through the roof. I went for my 1st mammogram on 27th june after turning 50 and today have received a recall letter saying the results are unclear and i have a follow up appt for 18th july. I will be climbing the walls by then.

Hello Tracey, this is a very stressful time for you, but DON’T PANIC!!  With a first mammo there is nothing to compare with, so difficult for the bods to know what is normal for you. Often there is overlapping tissue, or the mammos are fuzzy etc etc. Meaning that there are lots of reasons for a recall.  Also, expect your recall letter had a leaflet which says that over 80% of recalls do not need any further action and anything found is benign. There are many different reasons.  I know it is difficult to take this calmly - on my first recall I panicked, but was just calcifications, which are benign.  If you do a search on here you will find lots of ladies who were in your position recently, and they had the all clear and hopefully you will have to!! :catvery-happy:xxx

Hi Tracey,

Well, loads of us have been where you are now with the recall letter, I had mine on return from 3 weeks away for an appointment the next day, so I didn’t really have much time to think about it. 

Anyway, it does not necessarily mean it’s bc, recalls are quite common, especially for first mammos as there is nothing to compare it with & something has been seen which needs checking out. It could be just an artefact & it needs to be re-done. 

Even IF it does turn out to be bc, then outcomes, especially for screen detected bc are excellent, with most of us making a full recovery. The mammo then would have then done it’s job in getting an early diagnosis. 

As it turned out I did have an early bc diagnosis, which was straightforward to treat & now back to life as normal. So glad I went for that mammo!

let us know how you get on

ann x

Thanks everyone for you’re replies. I’ve had quite a restless night and still feel unsettled I now have to brave work and tell them I need Tuesday off. Just feel like curling up and crying… I’ve gone really quiet and cant focus on anything . My Mind is working overtime.

Goodmorning Tracey …

i had my first mammogram yesterday (ashamed to say I’m 72 and never had one due to fear).  My GP referred me due to discharge from nipple.  Hardly slept last night.  Got to see Consultant  about results.  I just cannot function…and yet there are so many encouraging stories and such support.  All the best Tracy.

love and thanks xxx

Thanks and Good luck feathers.

Hi Anne. That’s me home after a frantic day and it’s been the longest week ever. They were focusing on my right side only. More breast tissue there than on the left and had to check it wasn’t overlapping tissue. Got another mammogram, 3 pics this time, and an ultrasound. Thankfully all is fine and nothing to worry about. Apparently when you get older you’re breast tissue turns to fat (they used a medical term)and my left boob has gone fat quicker than my right. Hope you are feeling ok today.

That’s me home after a frantic day and it’s been the longest week ever. They were focusing on my right side only. More breast tissue there than on the left and had to check it wasn’t overlapping tissue. Got another mammogram, 3 pics this time, and an ultrasound. Thankfully all is fine and nothing to worry about. Apparently when you get older you’re breast tissue turns to fat (they used a medical term)and my left boob has gone fat quicker than my right. Hope you are all feeling ok today.