Recently diagnosed

I hope I’ve come to the right forum ?
I was recently diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I had a biopsy and had my results a couple of weeks later. I was hugely relieved to know that the biopsy results showed that my cancer was Stage 1 (1.9mm) and the lymph nodes did not look to be affected.
I had a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy on 11th December. I got my op results on Christmas Eve and my path report shows that I am Grade 2, with clear margins, both lymph nodes were clear and LVI was also not seen. However, I am still awating ER/PR and HE2 status. I won’t find out until my next appointment on 10th January.
The treatment I am due to have is 3 weeks of radiotherapy and possibly Tamoxifen depending on ER/PR. No one has mentioned the possibility of HE2 status being positive or Herceptin so I’m a bit confused, and still worried about being HER2 positive ?
It’s all so new and confusing :frowning:

Dear Feebs

Welcome to the forum. I hope someone will be able to help with your specific question. You could also give our Helpline a call for some information and support. The number is 0808 800 6000. The normal opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays but the opening hours are reduced over the holiday period- (9-2 on New Year’s Eve and closed on New Years Day).

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

I too hope i have come to the right forum, i was diagnosed Dec 13th DCIS high grade after getting call back from routine mammogram, had further mammo ultrasound and biopsy. Yesterday I had an MRI and will have to wait til Jan 10th to get results I am petrified. I was shocked at the diagnosis wasnt expecting it at all.
I am booked for a lumpectomy on 16th January but I dont unerstand what the MRI is for, my sister died of breast cancer aged 46 and my son aged 33 has lung cancer whether this has any thing to do with it I dont know. I dont remember much of what the consultant said it all seems a bit of a blur.
I am very emotional at the moment, i am wishing my life away waiting for the 10th so i know if anything was found on MRI.

Lyn, I just posted on your other thread.
Hi Feebs, and welcome! It sounds like you were caught nice and early, so treatment will be comparitively not too bad eh! At any rate, you sound entirely treatable. The path results after the lumpectomy will probably include your er/pr and her2 status, then things will be clearer. Tis the waiting and waiting is just awful, I know!

Hang on in there!
Hugs xx

Hi
This is my first post. I have similar diagnosis to you Lyn but have to have a mastectomy at the end of January. I have still not had the appointment through. The waiting is torture!! I am so mixed up at the moment I don’t know what to do or think.
Btw how do you get the font larger on here?!!
Mandi x

Hi Lyn
Just teting this post out as it didnt work the first time.

Mandi x

Hi Lyn and Mandi, welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the peer support here please feel free to call our helpliners for a listening ear, support and information on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’ web page where you will find further support ideas and information which I hope you will find useful over the coming months:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis?utm\_source=Homepage&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=diagnosis

Take care

Lucy

i’m new here and I was diagnosed with b.c on 27th dec in the lymph nodes under my arm had another biopsy today (2/1/13) in my breast this time as doctor suspects its there to. I’m already fed up of poking and prodding and treatment not even started yet. I just want more answers now but still feel like I’m in the dark on what I have just want to read up on it :frowning:

Hi Mandy
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate news I do hope you dont have to wait too long before you get your appointment, i will be thinkg of you
The waiting room is the absolute worse, let me know you get your date, I too have my emotional days and i’m sure i’ll have a lot more to come. I wish there was something i could say to help you through your agonising wait

Take care, btw the font is perfect once posted. xx

Hi All
Got my final path results now. ER+ and HER2-. So it’s 3 weeks of Radiotherapy and a Letrozole tab for me. I thought it would be Tamoxifen but I’ve been through the menopause so my BC Nurse said it would be Letrozole.
Very glad to have all results through now as I have a definite treatment plan now.
Again, thanks for lovely messages of support, it is a very scary time when you are first diagnosed, I can’t believe how quickly everything happened.
Thoughts and prayers with everyone going through this.
Feebs x<!-- –>

Hi to you all. I’m 53 but not finished menopause yet, recently diagonsed and in a whirlpool of treatment and emotion. I’m just finding my way round this site but so grateful to get info from people who understand what’s going on in my head.
I don’t know about threads and stuff online but here goes…
I Found tiny lump in my right breast 18+ months ago and was told it was nothing - come back in 6 months to re check. 6 months later was still same so told it is nothing (no biopsy - told it was too small).
Recently, mid October after shedding some weight, found same lump again and realised areola skin was tight too. Went to doc who could hardly feel it but sent me to clinic. Saw consultant who said it was probably a blocked duct but would snip it out for peace of mind. Did that under local on 7/11/12. Went for results 20/11/12 told it was IDC ER+ve HER2 -ve. Back into surgery 5/12/12 for segmental excision removng my nipple and most of areola with breast tissue and a Sentinal Node Biopsy (only took 2 lymph nodes). Waited another 2 weeks - got results 18/12/12. Margins clear but both nodes affected. No sign of anything else in ultrasound scan or mammogram but having MRI tomorrow cos consultant is worried.
Back in surgery for lymph node clearance on Wednesday 9/1/13. Following another 2 week wait I’ll see the surgeon again to find out if other nodes and other breast are affected. Apparently this will indicate treatment but have already been told it will be Chemo then radiotherapy followed by hormone blocking stuff.
The waiting is hell and I swing from calm to hysterical at the drop of a hat. I just want to get on with the chemo and get this thiing out of my body. Wish I’d opted for a full double mastectomy when first found out but my team go for breast conservation.
Thank you all for posting and good luck.

Hi millymolly_m

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site. I’m sorry it seems a long time for your posts to go live on the fourms but as a new user your first few posts are read and checked by a moderator/facilitator before they go live onto the forum, and as you have posted during the night there was no moderator on shift. Your posts are all now ‘live’ so hopefully you will get some replies pretty quickly now.

As well as the support from your fellow forum users BCC have many publications and services to help you through this, along with our helpline staff who are only a free phone call away to add to that support, no question is a silly question, so ask away. The helpline number is 0808 800 6000 open 9-5 Mon - Fri and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator