Recipes/getting products for a healthier diet!

Hi Finty,
It is a nice moist cake although quite sweet - I guess because of all that fruit!

I would also love the curry recipe!

Wendy
x

hi all i have been reading your thread and assume that you are on dairy free diets. I was wondering if there is a reason for this is it something to do with the cancer.

Hi Terri

There is a separate thread if you search under Jane Plant diet that will give you both sides of the debate on dairy. The debates get quite heated and lengthy so I started up this thread for healthy recipes of any sort. Many of us have changed our diets in different ways and it’s lovely to share ideas whether we opt for dairy or not.

If you have any difficulty finding the thread please do PM me.

Elinda

I’ve bumped up the Jane Plant thread so it’s easier to see. Elinda x

Am going to try that cake sounds lovely.

Chickpea and spinach curry
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 or 2 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 or more cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
5cm (2 inch) piece of fresh ginger root, finely chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
packet of spinach
1 can chopped tomatoes in juice
1 mug chickpeas soaked and cooked
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves

Fry onions for a few mins then add garlic and ginger cook another few mins then add curry powder and cumin seeds, fry for 1-2 mins.

Add tomatoes, parboiled potatoes and chickpeas cover simmer and cook for about 40 mins.

Add spinach, garam masala and coriander and cook for 2 mins

Serve with breads or rice.

i add in other veg too sometimes.
x

mmmm sounds lovely - do you recommend a particular curry powder?

fintyx

Not really, am not that good with which one to choose am going to start grinding my own soon. I think they are a lot better.

Have tried a few from supermarkets and they are okay maybe someone else could recommend one. I always think Indian supermarkets sell great curry spices. And there is a great choice. I’m quite lucky have some at the end of the road.

my nutritionist recommended Jane Sen’s books too, Healthy Foods and More Healthy Foods. They have some good ideas and you can get them on Amazon. Am trying to cook one new dish every week.

xxx

Thanks - will check out the books.finty x

Hi all,

Did you know that pizza express will do you pizza without cheese? my partner goes for the veneziana and has extra mushrooms instead of cheese.

Amanda Grant has some healthy and also some vegan recipes/books.

Happy munching!

JUlie x

this is really freaky, i havent ever read this thread before but tonight for tea i made a curry. I have always made meat curry before but decided not to use the packet of chicken i had bought and instead to try and be healthier and so experimented with spinach, chickpea and potato !! Is v wierd as thats the exact curry talked about on this thread tonight. My curry was lovely and will be doing it again definitely. I also grate a few peeled apples into my curries, it seems to add that bit of sweetness , uses up rubbish old apples and jams more good stuff into the one dish.

Oooh - spooky!

Brilliant Vicki. I love fruit in curry, i usually put in dried apricots to chicken curry it does give it a different flavour.

Thanks julie i will have a look at Amanda Grant’s books.

xx

I haven’t tried this yet but it sounds really quick and easy.

Chickpea Soup - serves 1

100g/4oz drained chickpeas
10oz chicken stock
2 tbsp chopped mixed fresh herbs e.g coriander, flat leaf parsley, chives
seasoning

Bring chickpeas and stock to boil for 3-4 mins, stir in herbs and season.
Liquidise until smooth and serve.

I love the sound of these recipes, thanks so much for posting.

Re the curries, I’ve got a book of different ones and some of the combinations of spices instead of curry powder include: ground cumin, ground coriander, and then chilli and ginger, perhaps some turmeric and garam masala. I usually use around 1 tsp of cumin and coriander and use some chilli flakes or fresh chilli. Another good spice is black cardamon which isn’t easy to find but has a lovely flavour, basically you crush the pods to get the seeds out and grind with a pestle and mortar (it’s not the same thing as green cardamon).

Elinda

I also mix up those spices for veg curries - it’s something to experiment with depending on your tastes. I use fresh ginger juice (chopped & put through a garlic press) and later add ground almonds and coconut milk. Then whatever veggies are in the fridge go in! There’s lots of squashes around at the moment so diced squash is good - I make a favourite ‘red’ curry using diced beetroot and butternut squash.

I now use beetroot juice in a lot of sauces and dishes - it adds lots of flavour and colour (where perhaps a glass of red wine and lots of tomato puree used to go in).

I found a grain called kamut which takes a while to cook but is very tasty with curry or bean stews.

I’ve not tried kamut - is it anything like bulgar wheat or cous cous? Does it have a strong flavour?

also not tried beetroot juice. Again how do you do this - do you choose your own and do you cook first, or do you buy it ready done? Sorry so many questions but like to try some new things.
Elinda

I meant to say do you juice your own (not choose your own - I blame the tamoxifen!)

Oh god, tell me about it! I daren’t go back to work yet - I teach English in secondary school and my words are all of muddle these days - I blame the femara!

I buy bottles of beetroot juice from supermarkets or health food shops (James White’s Beat It do a large organic bottle for under £3). That’s funny - we’re just sitting down to a very red beetroot/squash/sweet potato curry with kamut (with a side of steamed kale and broccoli).

I also keep in a large bag of mixed seeds (yes it does look a bit like bird food) from the health food shop and add handfuls to everything savoury. Flax, sunflower, pumpkin etc etc. And a packet or two of dried seaweed (wakame, arame)- you only need a little chopped up and soaked for 10 minutes - easy to add to savoury dishes and salads.

Kamut? Hmm…kind of nutty and chewy - like a cereal, more texture than cous cous…eek, struggling to describe it despite the English teacher thing! It’s a new one for me (as is most of this new diet) but I really like it. Planning to stuff red peppers with it tomorrow! I figure it might be better than white rice anyway (health and weight wise). But it’s all a matter of taste, I guess.

I meant to say - it’s recommended you add black pepper when cooking with turmeric as it helps absorption.

X

sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100914115240.htm

So - anyone got any great recipes with watercress?! Let’s see what we can concoct…

X

really interesting research, i luckily quite like watercress, i mix it with spinach leaves for my salads, plus some avocado and toasted pine nuts. It can be a bit peppery/hot but a bit of nice salad dressing takes that away quite well. I have made watercress soup years ago but cant recall a recipe. Probably bung watercress, onion and stock, boil it up and then whizz it up? If anyone has a slightly more precise recipe, that would be useful and appreciated!