Recommended daily intake

Recommended daily intake

Recommended daily intake Hi all
Like many of you i take quite a few supplements in the hope of staying healthy but what i have difficulty deciding is how much to take. It’s a nightmare trying to find out which are the best value as lots of tablets are of different amounts and values.
I currently am taking
Vit A
Vit D
Fish oils Gingko Billoba
Selenium ACE

Can anyone help?
Kelley

Don’t know too much about supplements… … but do know that you have to be very careful about overdosing on vitamin A, and I see that you are getting it twice, not to mention any food sources containing it.

Just be wary.

Mcgle

daily intake -Dear Kelley, So difficult trying to keep on top of all the pills. I have spreadsheet on which I record the total amount of supplements from all the various things. It is based on the advised levels of :

Betacarotene 12 mgs
Vit. C 2000mgs maximum
Vit. E 400-1000 int. units#
Zinc 15 mgs
Selenium 200 micrograms

I take into account the possible amounts from normal food intake so as not to overdo things like Vit. E or A. Surplus Vitamin C is excreted so I never worry too much about that. It’s better to slightly underdo the supplement levels that to overdo them to allow for what is in the food you are eating (taking it that of course you are managing a reasonably “normal” diet)

I also take Coenzyme Q10 on as large a dose as I can afford (usually 100mg), fish oils, Milk thistle (to aid the liver), and curcumin.

Have a look at Chris Woollams’s website (CancerACTIVE) - there is good information on supplements there. (need to be a bit persistent to track the information).
good luck

mcgle My finger must have slipped! It’s Vit C not A!
It also looks like i’ve beenoverdosing on Selenium as i’ve been taking 2 tablets 200mcg!
Thanks everyone for putting me right.
Kelley

Recommended Daily Intake The British Nutrition Foundation has some figures for this on their website.

nutrition.org.uk/home.asp?siteId=43§ionId=414&subSectionId=320&parentSection=299&which=1

What to take? Like some of you I have been buying supplements and then not taking them, as I have lost my way a bit nutrition and supplement wise. I have now decided to follow the Bristol Cancer Help regime, they have a website, as they have research and updated their information on a regular basis and I feel that they have done all the leg work re amounts to take, what to take etc.

Blondie

What does! Depends who you read about what dose to take of anything. Some nutritionists say that for cancer, agressive nutrition is necessary, and by that, they mean the dose should be much more than the RDA. Have you read the recent research reports about vitamin D3? Dr Downing suggests 4000 iu if you are healthy, and 10,000 iu if you have cancer. The RDA is 400 iu. D3 is the natual form - don’t take any other.

I have been taking 4000 to 8000 iu a day now for 3 months, and surprisingly, my aches and pains have largely disappeared. They are only due to age, I should add - nothing sinister to the best of my knowledge.

As for selenium, a friend of mine was advised to take 400 units for several weeks, together with a good general mineral supplement. (Just as important as vitamins.)

Vitamin A is best taken as beta-carotene (carrot juice) so the body makes its own A. Vitamin E is possibly best taken from natural sources unless you get the natural forms - there is a difference in activity between the industrial chemical and natural vit E.

As for Co Q10 - the Danish study in which several women recovered from breast cancer were taking 360 mg a day.

I agree about the CancerActive site - it is absolutely excellent. The books are very useful, and the audio files from the cancer prevention conference are well worth the money. You might not agree with some of Chris Woollam’s ideas though. (Although I do.)

And why not… Why not see a nutritionist if you need advice about a cancer diet? Someone qualified in the Plaskett school is well trained to offer such guidance.