recovery?

recovery?

recovery? Hi I’m 51 and this is my first post on this site. I was diagnosed last July with lobular breast cancer, had a segmental mastectomy and lymph node removal. Margins and lymph nodes were clear and I had a course of 16 sessions of radiotherapy finishing in November 2006.
I returned to my part time job in January and have now just been signed off again for 1 month as I am struggling.

I am looking for some reassurance and advice on whether I should still be feeling so tired, still be experiencing pain in my arm and breast. Also I have just developed a frozen shoulder I am told this my be linked … Is anyone else suffering?

How long will this last and am I being a wuss!

Thanks in advance

Carole I think the official time for feeling flattened by RT is getting more tired for three weeks and then six weeks to getting back to where you were before you started.
I was terribly tired for two months after mastectomy -before treatment.
So I think you’re feeling pretty battered by your op as well as the RT +going thro the the emotional squeezer on hearing the you have br ca news. If you add all these things together what’s left is one steamrollered lady - who would need time to recover in mind and body!
Give yourself more rest, eat good fresh food and you’ll find you’re up to the mark again.
The pain in arm and breast is probably nerve post op. Eat red meat with a bit of fat on/cream/use butter not spread- animal fat very good for nerve repair- suggest course of pork chops. Plus get it checked- phone Breast Care Nurse for appt- and if all’s well no need to worry.
Had a frozen shoulder on mast side 2 yrs later- don’t think there’s any connection.
Best wishes for getting your bounce back, dilly

If you are I am Hi

Thought it was just me, did not want to make a fuss. I finished my rads on 31/1/07, decided to start work at a new job on 5/2/07…boy what a biggggggggg mistake. Lasted just one week…all I feel is exhausted all the while, aching arm, crying, no self worth etc etc etc. Actually sailed through 25 days of rads telling everyone it was a piece of cake. Was I wrong…had to go back to the doctors to get back on the sick and she was so mad that I had gone back to work so soon. She said the side effects of the rads can last anything from four to six weeks after treatment. ~When will this ever end…So yes I am still suffering but did not want to moan. You are not alone…

Love Elaine

Dear Carole Sorry to read that you are having a difficult time at the moment. I can see that you have received valuable support and advice from the other users on the site. In addition, if you would like to discuss your concerns in confidence, please feel free to telephone Breast Cancer Care’s helpline.

All the helpliners are either breast care nurses or have experience of breast cancer. The team comes from a variety of backgrounds, so callers get to talk to someone who has an understanding of the issues they’re facing and they can talk to you about both technical and emotional issues surrounding breast cancer.

The number for the help line is 0808 800 6000 and is open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

frozen shoulder hi carole, i had a mastectomy in nov 05, followed by chemo and rads.i finished rads in june 06 and did not go back to work till september in a phased return, i am in the final stages of that return, i have taken it very slowly as in the beginning i got very tired and had to reduce the hours.
frozen shoulder yes.
did my excercises as told after nov op and was doing well, then playing with a bolloon i hurt my shoulder and it became frozen.
i have had some physio and in dec 06 i went to the hospital and was given an injection. this has helped and progress is good 50% better.
i was told a frozen shoulder can last any when up to a year or so.
good luck.
sharon. x

Hi Dilly , Elaine and wonder1

Thanks for all the advice, its nice to know you are not alone.

I have arranged with my work to cut my hours and not work consecutive days so that should help.

I start a course of physio for the shoulder on monday.

Tuesday I have first mammogram since the op and can’t say I am looking forward to that as I am still so sore, but hey needs must.

Thanks again
xx

Lucky not to have rads so cant comment on tiredness but have heard about it being an effect that lasts.Have had a frozen shoulder after mastectomy despite working really hard with exercises-and again this seems to happen fairly often so dont worry.
Glad you are cutting work hours and listening to your body-it will heal quicker that way.
sending hugs sharon x