Recurring breast lumps. Just diagnosed with IDC

Hi everyone I’m completely new to this forum and only diagnosed 5 days ago with IDC at stage 1.
My story starts in April last year when I found a lump on my right breast which was biopsied along with another lump I didn’t feel and they both turned out to be benign.
My consultant arranged a vacuum biopsy to remove the biggest lump and left the other smaller lump.
I recovered from this and everything seemed ok till around 5 weeks when I noticed 2 new lumps, 1 on each breast.
I was scanned and 2 more lumps were found. Biopsies were done on the 2 I found but not on the 2 little ones that I hadn’t.
A week later ( Monday this week 6th Jan) I was given the results and the lump on the right side is benign but the lump on the left is cancerous. I have IDC and my consultant recommends a lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, although he is still waiting for more results to come back.
My first thought was for my 18 year old daughter who was there with me. I tried to remain calm for her.
I’m still not sure wether to go for the lumpectomy or a full mastectomy because I keep getting these lumps and I’m terrified of going through all this again and maybe it will spread into my body. I’m so confused and scared.
Judy 43 from London

Hi Joodymoody and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition on the support you will find here please feel free to call our helpliners for practical and emotional support, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

The following link to the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’ pages contains lots of Information and further support ideas which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi

I am very recently diagnosed but they believe it to be stage 2. It has been a very testing week and I am also very scared, please believe me you are not alone. I have decided to try my very best to take some kind of control, eating sensibly, carrying on with my running and trying to remain positive as much as possible. I have two boys 9 & 11 and footie and boxing clubs are not going to stop because of this terrible news !!! I feel ok one minute then cry the next… But must continue. I hope you can take some comfort from this site as I have. Big hug and love Lou xxxxxx

Hi Lou and thankyou for replying to my message.
I understand what you say about trying to keep things as normal as possible. I feel very much the same. I have just got on with doing things and I have tried to think practically, going out buying pjs and stuff for going into hospital, writing lists of things that need doing and paying while I’m going through the treatment.
My 3 daughters are grown up so they can do most things for themselves but this has highlighted for me just how much I do for them. I also have 2 young grandchildren who I look after a lot but that will have to change when I’m going through treatment.
I have to go to hospital tomorrow for the rest of my biopsy results and hopefully dates for breast surgery and other tests.
I really hope things go well for you
Much love and hugs Judy x

Hi Poemsgalore
Thankyou for your message. You have really been through it. Are you cancer free now?
I also have to have the sentinel node biopsy as the consultant thinks it might be hormone related.
My Macmillan nurse gave me a bag full of books explaining all the different types of cancer and treatment as well as dealing with the cost of cancer and support organisations.
These have really helped but my mind is a bit ’ information overload’ at the moment.
I know I’m still in a state of shock and the enormity of it all hasn’t hit me yet.
I’m glad I came on this site as reading other peoples stories has been a great support.
I hope you are now well
Love and hugs Judy x

Hi Kath
I hope you get good news next week. Knowing your mammogram is clear is a very good indicater that everything should be fine.
I went to see my consultant yesterday and he has booked me in for surgery next Tuesday 21st Jan.
I have a pre med tomorrow and on Monday 20th I have to go in and have the dye injected into my lymph glands.
I’m nervous but also relieved that it is going to be done so soon.
I should be starting radiotherapy around 4 weeks later depending on the biopsy results and recovery.
Good luck for next week
Love and hugs Judy x

Hi, 

Diagnosed last week with a ‘rare’ type, so not sure whats going on. Due, for lumpectomy next Tuesday, for yet more testing. I am already considering a masectomy rather than radiotherapy, if needed! I have had so much messing around, enough is enough!

Good luck and take care xx

Hi Spit
I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Finding out you have breast cancer is a worrying time, made worse by finding out its a rare type.
There are so many types of cancer,
I had no idea until I was diagnosed myself.
I felt very much like you, in that I just wanted the mastectomy because of the fear of it returning or not being completely removed.
I went to see my consultant a week later and he went through things clearly with me again and now I’m going for the lumpectomy with radiotherapy.
The decision is completely down to you. We are all different, only you know yourself what is right for you.
Good luck with whatever you decide and I’m having my surgery on the same day so I’ll be thinking of you
Love and hugs Judy xx