Rooibos tea and breast cancer

Hi, ive just had a single mastectomy done. As my cancer came back. It was hormone receptor positive.
I’m now recovering and have stopped having coffee . Was looking for another drink to have in the morning. My mum suggested rooibos tea (red tea), tried it and liked it. This morning i thought i would google what the benefits were and wish i hadnt. As google mentioned red tea not good for hormone receptor cancer.
Is there any fact behind this?
Is it just silly google.
I was on tamoxifen but have been off it for 3 weeks now as my consultant suggested.
All i wanted to do was have a nice cuppa in the morning.
Just wanted the nurses thoughts on rooiboos tea and herbal teas?
Is there any facts behind it all?

Thanks Jess

Hi Jess,

Thanks for you post asking about rooibos tea.

You may find the information on this link helpful. The website has current evidence regarding a number of herbs, vitamins and other supplements so you can search for other teas you may be considering as well. It doesn’t say that rooibos tea needs to be avoided if you’ve had breast cancer.

You can also search herbal products and supplements on the European website Complementary and Alternative Medicine for cancer and on the American website Medicine Plus.

Google results aren’t always accurate as you suggest. But as you have found something that says rooibos isn’t good if someone has had hormone receptor positive breast cancer, you may want to talk to your treatment team, GP, or a pharmacist just to confirm its fine to continue.

You may be interested in the range of free services we offer.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.