Scar Reduction After Surgery

Hi Folks. I’m not sure how many of you will have discovered this already, but I just wanted to share with you an amazing find which is fantastic at reducing scars after surgery. It’s called ‘Cica Care’ Scar Reduction Silicone Sheets, and is medical grade silicone. I’ve tried to buy it in the shops, such as Boots, but they only do silicone patches which are expensive and have to be thrown away after use. I found it on the internet, and actually ended up buying off ebay. The Cica Care sheets can be cut to size and you just wash and re-use them, with them lasting for months. It really does work. I had bi-lateral surgery in January with lymph glands taken out from under both arms. You can’t use the sheets on open wounds so I waited a couple of weeks to try it under both arms and after a couple of weeks of use the scars, which were riased and red, became flat and white. Unfortunately I’ve just been back in for a mastectomy, but in a couple of weeks will be using the silicone sheets again, hopefully with the same brilliant results. Worth looking at anyway, and although a little expensive (I paid £34 for a 12x15cm sheet), has already been well worth the money.

Thanks very much for this info Carol. I’ve been looking around on the internet re scar reduction and I mentioned silicon sheets to my physio today. She gave me enough ‘Cica Care’ for 2 months use.

I’m presuming I can’t use this when I have radiotherapy though?

Sorry, not sure about using the sheets with radiotherapy, that’s something I’m going to have to ask myself too.

Blimey, fancy getting it free from your physio…!! I never thought to ask at the hospital, but I’m in for a ‘wound review’ tomorrow so will ask about that too. Thanks for that. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

I told my consultant I was using this Carol and he said it definitely works. In that case it would be nice if it was handed out as a matter of course!

Might be worth asking your GP for anyone else thinking of getting some. Particularly with free prescription charges from 1st april.