Scared Male 21 - Ultra-Sound today

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am male, 21 and very nervous right now, I went to the doctor as I found a lump in my “breast”. It is located near on the edge of the pectoral muscle. It feels rubbery and smooth in texture and shaped a bit like a kidney bean and very mobile. I dont have any other symptoms related to BC.

What I find odd though is i can only really feel the bump when Im tensing my pecs. Anyway, I have an ultra sound in an hours time. Fingers crossed its nothing sinister although Im preparing myself for the worse.

I do have one question, im assuming you can only get breast cancer in breast tissue, where is this breast tissue located in a male? Is it an area around and behind the nipple, or can it be located anywhere on the chest? As i said earlier, my lump is on the outside of my chest, in the muscley part near the armpit.

Cheers.

Hi Nick sorry I don’t have answers for you someone who has will come along in a little while I’m sure. J ust wanted to wish you luck for this afternoon. take care kittyx

Hi nick8718

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.
In the meantime you may find it helpful to talk to one of our breast care nurses on the free helpline. The number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open Mon - Fri 9.00 - 5.00 and Sat 9.00 - 2.00.

best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Nick
Just to say very best wishes for your ultra-sound.
I can’t really help you with anything else but I do know what it’s like to have an ultra sound for a lump in the breast.
You can always telephone the BCC help line. They were brilliant with me when I needed to talk to a professional.
I do hope the offending object is not sinister but if you need support this is the place to be.
Fingers crossed. Let us know how you get on.
I’ll be thinking of you
Jan xx

Hi Nick,

Presumably by the time you read this you’ll have been for your ultrasound. I do hope it turns out to be something simple.

We ladies are probably not best equipped to answer your question about breast tissue in men. Most of us are not familiar enough with male anatomy. Nearest I can guess would be the area where overweight men get fat deposited ie. around the nipple and underneath the armpit. The nurses who man the helpline will definitely be better qualified to help you.

One thing we do know about on this forum is the anxiety of waiting for results. I hope you get yours immediately and it’s good news. If it is good, please come back and let us know. We do like a good news story.

Hi Nick,
just want to say I’m thinking about you - I think this illness and the threat of it is probably even more isolating for men than for women, but there will be no shortage of support for you on this forum, if you should need it. However, I hope that you won’t and that you’ll soon be reassured. Let us know how you go on
take care
monica x

Thanks for all your kind responses.

So I went along, the person who did the ultra sound seems to think its a glad or lymph node thats just shifted around and is more prominant? But she took a snap shot of the screen and sent it to someone else, do the people taking the ultra sounds have enough knowledge to diagnose? I still havn’t gone back to the doctors for the full results yet.

hi please go back at least it will put your mind at rest all i can tell you is i went for a liver ultrasound and was told my results that day ut i had already been told i had bc so might be diff hope its gd news please let us no tc laura x

Nick

My ultrasound scans were done by doctors, who also did the biopsies, and yes, I would say they definitely knew what they were talking about.

I would imagine they would have contacted you if they thought there was a problem, but for your own peace of mind, and just in case they have overlooked you, you really should go back for the results. There is no reason not to. If it is good news, you will be glad and if not, then you will be treated. I am surprised they didn’t give you an appointment to go back, or did they say to contact your GP?

Good luck and please let us know how it goes. We are always pleased to hear of someone’s good news!

Ann x