Screening for under 50's

Screening for under 50’s

Screening for under 50’s I have started a topic for new user helza69

Kind Regards

Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi, I heard a few weeks ago that people with a family history on breast cancer would be able to get screened for it before you were 50.
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this?
My mum died in Feb this year. It was he second breast cancer. She had it first when she was in her 20’s. I am 19 and am worried about the history if it and would like some information on how to get screened.
Many Thanks
Helen

For Helza69 Hi Helza69

I have found the link for you for further information on breast screening with regard to family history, I hope this helps. The link is
breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=416 If you feel you need someone to speak to in confidence then do feel free to contact our freefone help line on 0808 800 6000. The line is open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm where I am sure there will be someone who can give you some advice.

With best wishes
Forum Host

Thank you vey much. I will have a look at this now.
Helen

Hi Helen
I moved here from the US when I was 30. My mom died of breast cancer at 38 years of age. They were screening me in the US before I moved, but it took some doing to get them to start screening me here. I had to change GP’s before I got a referral.
It worked out for the best, as I was diagnosed in May of this year with breast cancer and I think the screening helped find it a few months earlier than I would have otherwise.
Not sure where you live, but I was part of the Genetics study at the Royal Marsden in London and they are wonderful. If it isn’t too much of a journey, your GP may refer you there.
Best of luck - if it worries you - fight for the screening you feel you need.