Sentinal Lymph Node to be removed for biopsy

Hi everyone

I am having my Sentinal Lymph Node removed on Friday. I am starting to get a bit anxious about it. I am having it done under general anaesthetic although worried about not waking up lol (I have high blood pressure). I seem to be worrying about every little twinge these days! My consultant said I have to have it done under a General, but I have also read that it can be done under a Local, depending on circumstances and advice with the anaeathatist (can’t spell!). I was wondering if any of you ladies can put my mind at east and calm me down a bit!

Many thanks and best wishes

Daysie x

hello daysie… big breaths … its scarey i know , i was frantic when i had to have my operation, i also had a sentinal node removal and a lumpectomy at the same time… 15 months ago…
well firstly i wanted to be awake for my surgery too, as i was scared i wouldent wake up, i was also scared incase i was still awake … and could feel it … but i wouldent be able to let them know … allsorts go through your mind…
but i was sound asleep i never felt a thing, and i woke up … to be fair within an hour of been back on the ward i was sitting up in bed drinking luke warm tea, and eating nhs sandwiches … felt a bit dozy but i needed the loo… so i got up and went…naughty girl i know…
went down to theatre about 2 and was home before 7. i was sore but it was nowhere near as bad as i imagined. the breast nurse gives you some exercises to do after surgery, and my advice is do them as soon as you wake up just practice brushing your hair… and pushing away an immaginary wall …its sore at first but the more you do it the easier it becomes. i just took pain killers on the evening i had the operation and the following day , i managed without during the days afterwards, but did take them to go to bed, i had no problems at all … take some warm socks in to hospital with you (my feet were freezing )and a few magazines, take things easy for a few days when you come home, no heavy lifting…no pegging the washing out, and if you have had the blue dye injected, your wee will be blue for a cupple of days, my skin had a bit of a bluey tinge 2, but that soon fades, and its novel because you make your own blue loos… and everyone will want a look… well my lot did hehehe… you will be just fine , and i expect to hear from you when your home friday night … good luck and dont stress you will be fine xx angie