September 2023 Chemo Starters

Looks like we start RT at similar time. I really hope my skin doesn’t go funny and shape of boob holds as I am quite happy w it 4 weeks post op. It feels still hard so assume it still may change in future and deflate happy cancer is out.
For me, the op means that it’s out of my body and I feel less stressed as well.

Your plan seems sensible @annemanc. I would do the same if I worked full time and would ask to reduce hours for a couple of months , enjoy the summer and then go back to 4 days.
The worry and guild of letting people down if I go back to work is real and I would be looking at similar timelines, like mid may or end of May xx

4 Likes

I scrolled back over 2 weeks ago and can’t find my post so here it is.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@annemanc I agree with the work life balance and I think all our perspectives on life have changed. Being healthy is so important. I’m so pleased you have felt better and your family have noticed. Take your time after radiotherapy… it’s the gift that keeps on giving (I’ve been told). I still have very achy ribs 8 weeks post radiotherapy. I’ve been to a Menopause Well being Day at Penny Brohn and was advised to contact my cancer centre about long term side effects. I would highly recommend the day to anyone with menopausal symptoms, it based in Bristol but have overnight stay options. The course was free but donations welcome.

@pinklilli3s hope your appointment goes well this week. Pleased you are feeling better. I found Radiaderm R1 and R2 creams brilliant. I only had some pinkness and some swelling of one boob. My issues are inside! My boobs haven’t changed shape or reduced yet… but it can still happen.

Take care all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Oooh thank you for that information, really helpful to know and glad you haven’t had any boob change. Hope it stays like this!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, hope all ok.

I had my post-op yesterday, and results were already back, which was quick after Saturday. Firstly, the good news, the boob is sorted- he got it all, clear margins, and while there are three steristrips, you’d not really be able to tell anything had happened. Other than the nice yellow bruise that has developed this week.
Slightly more annoying news is that there was still a smidge of cancer showing in one of the 4 nodes, so I have to go back and have full clearance. Was absolutely fuming yesterday. I’m wondering if it’s because I finished chemo three weeks early, not that we’ll ever know.

I’d been so focused on having a nice Easter weekend at my parents in Norfolk and birthday, I almost refused to go back and have it done on the 24th and was sent away to ponder that or April 13. Think I’ve come around to March 24 as I don’t want to be stuck in recovery again for all of April… but still. It’s so annoying!

X

4 Likes

Hi @plum1

Great news about the tumour and sorry to hear about the nodes. I can only imagine with everything you have been through it feels like another knock back. But the good news is there is a plan.

I hope you settle on a date that feels right for you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about the lymph nodes, I can empathise. It sounds like they’re taking a similar approach that they did with me, whipping them all to be on safe side. Sending you a hug.

Do you know when you’re having the op? It does take a good while to recover from (I def felt it more than the lumpectomy/snb) so would suggest being super gentle with yourself afterwards. The first week after I felt fine, I found week two onward harder as things started to knit back together. It’s dead easy to overdo it at the start xxxxx

3 Likes

Thank you- I know it’s for the greater good and has to happen, I’m just so fed up, feel like I’ve been mostly housebound since January with one thing after another.

Have decided on next Sunday, March 24. Just want it done now- couldn’t face the thought of being out of action for all of April and beyond.

Good to know about the slower recovery- I’ll try to be extra careful. They’ve said to expect to be in 3 days due to the drain… and the numbness I’ve got in my arm could last the year. Has that been your experience? My goal is to be able to go to my uncle’s funeral on April 3, up in Norfolk, so need to not push it but it’s also a non-negotiable as I haven’t been able to see my aunt since last Aug.

2 Likes

Good news that your appetite is coming back and the hair growth! Very cheeky of your old employer to ask you back on less pay! Did you meet your breast consultant and can you ride next week ? :crossed_fingers: I work as an accountant and bookkeeper so am on the laptop all the time. Finding it hard to sit for long periods doing that!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @naughty_boob . It’s a hard one .

@annemanc its been hard going back to work, much more than I thought. I’m usually very motivated with work but honestly I keep thinking there’s more to life . One client phoned me for a 5 minute catch up today and was still on the phone over an hour later, telling me all her woes. Her teenage boys arguing with her husband and how messy they all are. Real big problems! I just wanted to hang up …

My advice would be to take as much time as you are able afterwards. I started back 4 weeks after radio and now feel it was too soon. But of course everyone is different. It’s not just physically, I’m questioning if it’s what I want to do going forward. I,m 58, not old enough to retire . But want to appreciate life more.

@plum1 good news on the clear margins, so pleased for you. Sorry about having to go back for the lymph node after everything, but at least you have a plan in place. Hope all goes smoothly and you make it to your uncles funeral

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about the lymph nodes, how annoying. But at least once this is done there won’t be any doubts. Would you drive or take the train to your uncle funeral. My condolences btw. Seems you got a lot on and you’re doing your best to put one foot forward.

@copperycat I now interrupt people if I have other things to do…I used to listen to people hours and end and I don’t do that anymore! (Unless it’s important ofc) Same goes when people trying to cut me off and I haven’t made my point! My ex/ future boss was trying to cut the conversation short, meeting for which he run 10 min late, I was huh huh no, am not done explaining how poor this offer is :joy:
I genuinely don’t think am ready to go back to work. Also I am pissed off they couldn’t think of this arrangement last month instead of putting me this whole stress of being unemployed. I can see the advantages of me joining would be the healthcare and having a foot in the company for possible future perm role but other than that I can’t see this potential next role being interesting. Whilst I miss some sort of routine , which will come back as soon as I can ride again, I enjoy having a rest and being able to relax and recover. I would look at going back post RT anyway. Computer work is draining, make sure you have regular rest and move around loads. I find that I get a lot more easily distracted and that my right arm (where cancer was), get more stiff / swollen if I work for even an hour in a row without moving.

I’ve been clear for riding (gently). Will have to whisper to my horse ear, as he’s fast and sharp, so we’ll go in the arena first before going in Windsor park!!! :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I’m so pleased you’ve been cleared to ride, it will be nice to get something you enjoy back.

Why do companies have to be so tight with money? I agree that they could have thought of this position before letting you go and it’s cheeky to offer less money. The last thing you want is to have to fight people to be heard and to be treated fairly.

I feel so much more relieved knowing I have the redundancy agreed, I can take my time to recover and then when I’m ready I can find something I will enjoy doing. I know I’m lucky to have a supportive husband and the redundancy money covers a years wage. I appreciate not everyone is in that situation.

I’m sitting here with ice on my leg, 3 days ago the dog got really excited and ran into my ankle/shin, I got a bruise and noticed yesterday evening the bruising had spread. Bleeding and bruising seems to be a side effect of the Herceptin :unamused:

Take care all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

@pinklilli3s that’s great you got cleared for riding ( gently), a bit of routine will feel good. I do enjoy the routine of work. But not the amount! think I will be more strict this coming week and only work two days .

@naughty_boob that doesn’t sound good. I had no idea Herceptin could cause such a thing! Hope it heals soon :hugs:

3 Likes

Hi All

Sorry for the mega post below. I have been reading posts but not managed to find time to respond for a week or so. I hope you have all been enjoying the weekend in one way or another. I am really clinging on for Easter as I have a week off. My first break since diagnosis not to be entirely taken up by treatment/recovery.

@naughty_boob I wanted to say thank you for responding just over a week ago to my query about muscle aches etc. I missed your post at the time but saw it recently. I am sorry to hear you are feeling the same as me but in some ways it is reassuring to know I am not alone. I asked the BC nurse and surgeon about this on Friday and they seemed to think this is all par for the course. They were very vague about what I could do to improve it. So I am continuing to try and increase my walking etc and hope that exercise and time will make the difference. I also totally get what you mean about friends, family and colleagues willing treatment to be over, like they are all a bit bored of it. If only we all had such a choice. I think we are all pretty bored of it too but the side effects keep on coming and it definitely doesn’t feel like it is over yet. I also feel 80 rather than 49, just getting off the sofa takes a lot of mental and then physical effort. I am also sorry to hear about your friend. Sometimes life moves on and losing friends is hard but life abhors a vacuum and I expect that gap she has left will be filled with others who can join you for the next bit of your life. I lost one of my best friends about five/six years ago (she started a new relationship and just didn’t have space for her friends). It has taken time to move on but it has happened. Congrats on negotiating your redundancy. Hopefully that will allow you to start afresh later this year and do things that will bring more fulfilment.

@copperycat sorry to hear work is hard. I have been working on and off throughout and like you at times working long hours in a job which isn’t very fulfilling. I keep thinking about what can I do instead. I am 49 so I am too young to retire but the thought of working this hard in a role I don’t really care that much about for the next ten years is not great. Like us all I have bills to pay and so work has always been about paying those, but I need to find a better balance. I feel like we are all reassessing our lives in one way or another. Hopefully in a year or two we will all have managed to change things sufficiently so that we have happier day to day lives.

@pinklilli3s don’t take the lower salary. They are chasing you so try to negotiate them back upwards. So pleased you are able to ride again. I know that means a lot to you. I am still finding a lot of soreness and pulling at surgical sites (am at 3.5 weeks) so I am impressed you feel able to do something so physical.

@annemanc I have found returning to work okay most of the time but the last time I was off for just over two weeks post surgery and still had a lot of side effects and I found the return pretty tough, it did get easier as the week went by though. I also had to practice gratitudes for quite a few nights (something I always go back to when life is hard). I think some time off after rads sounds sensible (especially as the side effect seems to be fatigue). Phased return also sounds very sensible. I used to do a compressed week to get every second Friday off but I have actually found it easier to normal 9-5 since going back. But I might consider reducing my hours to 0.9 FTE which would give me Friday afternoons off. I think I need to work out the impact on Salary and Pension before making that decision. In terms of any of us feeling like we are letting people down or feeling guilty about work I think we should knock that on the head. Any company I have ever worked for has looked after itself first, as have colleagues. So we need to look after ourselves too and put ourselves first. After all if we don’t do that, no one will do it for us.

@annemanc are you still seeing your personal trainer? How is it going? How soon after surgery did you start this? I am keen to get going but feel very far from recovered from surgery.

@plum1 glad the boob is all sorted but sorry to hear the nodes are not clear. Good that you didn’t have to wait long for the news and there is a clear plan for next steps. Also sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope you manage to make the funeral as planned.

I saw my surgeon on Friday and he happened to mentioned the date when I went to the GP which was July last year! I couldn’t quite believe how long this has been going on. It just feels a bit never ending at the moment. One day/week at the time eh. My surgeon confirmed next step for me is probably Herceptin (have oncology appointment next week) and radiotherapy (probably around the start of May not sure for how long). Has anyone else been offered a shorter series of Herceptin injections (part of a trial). I don’t know much about it other than I will be offered it. Part of me wants less drugs and part of me worries it won’t be as effective in reducing risk of reoccurrence.

I hope I haven’t missed anyone out on my replies and I hope you have all been enjoying restful weekends. Lots of love to you all and I also just wanted to say how grateful I am that we are all still posting and looking out for each other. This cancer thing is one crazy ride and I wouldn’t be coping nearly as well if the support we all offer each other didn’t exist.

6 Likes

Hi! I’ve felt absolutely awful for 3 weeks. I seem to have turned a corner at week 4, so hang in there.
I wanted this surgeon because despite her character, I knew she’d be good. She managed to do only so one incision which I believe made a huge difference in my recovery. Also, I’ve only had one lymph node removed so that again may make a huge difference.
Today was sunny in the afternoon so managed a little ride in the park.
My appetite has come back this week as well. The walking plus now the riding will help. I did wake up.this morning and went back to bed for a nap for 2h :sweat_smile: I am not forgetting I’ve just been through major surgery and will give my body the rest it needs.
Got a dog cancellation this week but I don’t mind as I got blood tests tomorrow and immunotherapy Tuesday. I would be interested to find out if it’s going to mess me up again and if so hopefully not as bad as being post op. I usually get fever for 3/4 days and last time I was blessed w herpes :sob: :see_no_evil:
This forum is awesome I agree. Hang in there we all have our moments where we feel better than others. Oncologist said that massaging the area helps.

I speak to my future/ex boss tomorrow. I’ll tell you the gossip!!
Big hugs :heart::hugs:

4 Likes

@pinklilli3s you sound so much happier in your last post.

I would recommend the scar workshop on www.pennybrohn.org.uk I found out loads of information about gentle techniques rather than deep massage. Kate Oldham has had cancer herself and talks about radiotherapy as ‘the gift that keeps on giving’ and that we need to be aware of side effects long after the treatment. I bumped into her at the Menopause Well-being day I attended and talked to her about some side effects I’m still having and she advised to contact the radiotherapy department for advise.

I hope you treatment this week doesn’t give you as many side effects.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I’ve registered. Is the scar workshop related to RT specifically, I imagine it is?

I always say as long as I can ride am happy!
I’m just got weighted today w blood test ahead of immunotherapy tomorrow. God I hadn’t realised how much weight I lost :frowning: hopefully will be putting it back on (never thought I’d say that!) . Looking at a sunny holiday in may but overwhelmed by the choices!
Hope everyone is ok xxx

2 Likes

The scar workshop covers scar recovery after surgery and radiotherapy. I hope it helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hello all, been offline for a bit. My husband said something this morning that I wanted to share in case it helps. :muscle:

While I was getting dressed he said my operation scars made me look like a warrior princess, someone who had been through a battle but come out stronger and more powerful. I love this idea, that scars aren’t disfiguring but lines that tell the story of part of our lives. Xxxx

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing @annemanc it’s really helpful. I’ve been going through a stage of hating my boobs and scars and angry and upset that they have done this to me.

They have also helped me feed two children but sometimes the negative thoughts take over.

I will try to remember what your husband has said. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Hi everyone, happy Easter weekend! I hope you all have something nice planned, even if it’s just to be sat on the sofa scoffing choc!

I had my second op last Sunday to clear the rest of my nodes and was discharged Weds, so pleased to be home. Doing my exercises but am so sore in my ribs, I guess where the drain/incision was- I’m barely aware of the armpit by comparison, other than the reduced movement. Those of you who had full node clearance, was this your experience too, with a drain?

I’ve got post-op on the 2nd and then hope to head up to my parents’ in Norfolk for a few days, am then meeting my radiologist on the 12th to sort all of that out.

As I still had a blip in the first nodes, my oncologist has changed my treatment plan- I’ve stopped Phesgo and will instead go onto Kadcyla, which is a mix of a blocker and a tiny bit of chemo. That has to be 14 cycles, every three weeks which will take me into 2025- ending around Feb. Phesgo was meant to end in November so I’m a bit miffed it’s dragging into another year, but oncologist is hopeful I’ll manage ok on it :crossed_fingers:t3: my BC nurse said there’s a small chance the plan could revert back to Phesgo if the nodes were clear but I don’t want to get my hopes up…

xx

6 Likes