Shock

Hi I posted in the test results waiting thread earlier on this evening because I was upset and was not sure where to post and I have had one lovley reply from peppapot. Looking at this thread I have posted here as well this is what I posted in the test results thread.

I found a lump in my breast last week and went to the doctor today and she said I had a hard lump in my left breast and my left nipple is introverted she has referred me urgently to the breast clinic for an appointment. I just can not stop crying tonight. I am in shock and dont know what to do. I am 43 years old and there is no history of cancer or breast cancer in my family I am just looking for some support and comfort I guess. Thanks everybody.

I would like to add to this that I have had no pain or nipple discharge at all. My GP has had breast cancer herself. She sounded really worried when she told me about the lump. What could an intraverted nipple be?

I finished my job a month ago and am now looking for another job.

Sorry for the rambly post I am new to these forums.

Thank you again everybody.

Dancing, I’ve replied in the other thread.

Take care

Veggie

Hi Dancing

I’m sorry you’re having to go through this. The waiting time is really difficult.
Horrible as it all is the only thing you can do is get it checked. There are different types of breast cancer and many other non cancerous breast problems and that’s why a referral to a Consultant is so important. They have the expertise to work out was is going. You will probably be given a mammogram and possibly biopsies may be taken for analysis.
I had the opposite where the GP told me she was almost definite I didn’t have breast cancer, I went to the Consultant feeling quite optimistic only to be told I had cancer.
I think it’s good your GP is taking such quick action.

It is a shock, I was 44 when diagnosed earlier this year, had no family history of breast cancer or any other cancer and had just got over very major surgery for something unrelated.

All I can say is to try and take one step at a time. If you have cancer (and I do hope it isn’t) then treatment options will be discussed. Treatment is based on each individual situation but this forum and the helpline is a great way to explore the options and what they mean more fully.

take care and please do let us know how you get on.
Elinda x

Hi Dancing,

As Elinda says there are lots of benign breast conditions that can cause the symptoms you have and it’s good that your GP is taking quick action. Remember that 99% of referrals turn out not to be cancer.

We’ve all been through the wait for the clinic appointment and test results and understand how stressful it is. I’ve now had 6 rounds of chemotherapy and I’m due to have surgery next week but I still think all that waiting and hearing the verdict was the worst bit. Hopefully, like most people, you will have a better outcome and you’ll wonder why you were so worried. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

Jan