Should I get a dog?

hi Sharon,

it was good to read this post coz I’m in the same place dogwise… my darling choc lab (9yrs now) went to her foster mum way back in oct last year when i was diagnosed… I live alone and had to travel very (very ) far for scans + treatment so having a loving home for her gave me peace of mind. mind you Ive cried many nights missing her especially when I came home between op and chemo’s… but she lives on another small island so I cant even see her… and now I have to think about should I leave her with her foster mum who gives her more than I can now and for another 8 months of treatment…it is so hard and ironically last year I booked a chihuaha pup and 2 months ago the breeder phoned to say my pup was born… and I had to tell her I couldn’t this time round and I really want one with the next litter… so on two counts I know where you’re at… Ive decided that as I live alone all going well with my treatments I will get a small pup but will ask the breeder (she lives locally and her dogs are family pets too) if she will always take my pup if need be. I still havent decided about my darling big dog… she needs so much walking and loves company and I may not be able to give that and meantime she loves her foster mum who adores her back… theres so many things to sort out with cancer isnt there…
good luck with your decision…
I do hope you will find a happy pup who trains like a dream and gives you lots of fun and laughter - and fun and laughter is a must!
Suex

Sue

Oh, how I feel for you. Can you not get her back between treatments - I know I coped far better with chemo and rads etc having to do things with my dog, for about 12 of the 15 days cycle things were just about normal - I trained when I could, it was really only the day i had chemo and the day after that were a nuisance and to be honest if I hadn’t had my husband I could have opened the back door and let the dog out into the garden quite easily. There’s nothing like a big dog but if your chihuaha breeder lives locally, won’t she have the pup back every couple of weeks whilst you get round your treatment. I think getting out at least twice a day whether you feel like it or not does me more good than sitting at home feeling sorry for myself. Good luck with your treatments and your decisions!

Sharon

You are welcome, at the end of the day things have a canny (that’s Geordie) way of working themselves out, would love to hear how you get on with it all.
Cheers X

thanks sharon,
maybe the cmf will be easier but with the epirubicin i only have about a week (if Ive no infections ) when I’m well, and she lives on another island and to reach the ferry for that I have a long drive so it would take a day all in to fetch her and then a day to return her and so far Ive just not had the energy. If she was nearby I could have her back more… her lovely foster mum sends me photos and she brought her over a couple of months ago… that was so good and I could see how happy she was and she hadnt forgotten me of course. I was travelling south that night so couldnt keep her then. However Ive great hopes for the cmf coz if Im better with that she can come home more. The new pup has found another home but my name is down for the next litter and by then the long time away treatments will be over and I will be home…
it is so true about getting out… there were lots of times before my dz when I had to take my dog out and I wasnt too keen but then when you are out and she is running and jumping and the sky is full of stars or pretty clouds it is so good to outside. Fraid I am guilty of just sitting in these days!
meanwhile my two cats are ruling the roost …
suex

Sue Good luck with the new pup when you get it and I’m sure things will work out OK with your lab too. In the meantime you could always buy cat harnesses and take the cats out!!!

Sharon

Definitely go for it.

going out with my mad bounding collie every day has saved me.

This is the home for life link. It’s a great idea.

donations.rspca.org.uk/HomeForLife/

Funny how we can all tell our dogs our troubles and joys isn’t it!!! Perhaps it’s because they can’t tell us what they think!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Remember that the figure of 50% likelihood of BC returning within five years is based on figures that are at least five years out of date. Treatments have improved since then so your chances of being disease-free five years after diagnosis are better than you might think.

Without knowing you or knowing very much about dogs my inclination would be to say ‘go for it’ and ‘embrace life’ and ‘don’t live your life too defensively’ and ‘buy the biggest, brightest and best puppy that you can’.

Good luck.

best wishes,

Sue

hi Sharon,

I did giggle at the thought of my pusscats on leads - now Joe would just roll onto his back and expect to be picked up and Smokey would be so ‘affronted’ that I would expect him to sulk for days…lol

I;m hoping to go and see the last litter of pups before they go to their new homes … and I wont feel too bad coz it just aint possible this time round… and hopefully the next litter will be born next november/december when the chemo + 5 weeks away for radioth will be over and it’ll just be the herceptin which can be done up here all going well…

how is your choices coming on Sharon? Have you found any possible parents/pups yet for your new dog? Do you look at the rescue centres near you? or are your dogs always from folks you know/ have been recommend? We took ages to find the folks who bred our choc lab … she came from stirling - very far from here and she was flown up - I can see her yet in her little plastic box… her chocolate nose sticking out… I’d love another lab pup too… dogs are such wonderful companions aren’t they…
good luck with your hunt
Suex

Sue I’m intrigued - where do you live. My father was an Orcadian, so I know those islands fairly well. If you live on an island it must be (a) beautiful and (b) a b… long way away from a chemo/radiotherapy centre!!! Now to better things.

The breeder of my current dog has a litter of puppies due any day! She breeds for temperament - something I think is important with a Shepherd and I would be sorely tempted when she let’s me know if she has any spare! Otherwise because I want to work it its parents will have to have had hip, elbow scans or hopefully from working lines as well! Don’t want much do I. I am wondering whether a shepherd would be too big now and whether to go for a lab but my heart really belongs to GSD.

On another point, my son lives in Fife and has 2 labs - a black and a chocolate and they are on the look out for a good breeder local to them of chocolates as their old black lab is now 14. Does your breeder in Stirling check for hips, elbows and dna do you know. Can you let me have her address?

Sharon

Hi Sharon

As an owner of a chocolate lab girl (she is 9, the same age as your girl, Sue) I think if your heart is with a GSD, go with that rather than a lab. I love labs and will always always have one (or a Newfie if I ever move to the country) but love them as I do, there is no denying that they are hard work, boisterous, extremely strong and big so I can’t see how they would be easier to manage thant a GSD? If you love a particular breed, you will know how to train them properly, what to lool out for when choosing a pup etc. If you have decided that you want a dog, go for the one you really love - they all need loads of care, so you might as well put your efforts into one you want?

Love

Cathy

Cathy

Thanks for that - you know where your heart leads don’t you! GSD probably!

Sharon

Hi folks…

we’ve had snow… and my lab loved to roll about and generally have a good old time racing about in the garden…

hi Cathy - labs are fun aren’t they - but totally unlike any other dog I have had… they are like having toddlers around 24/7 - but the kindest cleverest and funloving .

You will probable disagree Sharon… hee hee … we do love our dogs… how exciting knowing that there is a GS litter coming and I hope you will be lucky and get one…I agree temperament is crucial with any dog, (and also hips etc… breeders who breed just for looks are doing the breeds a disservice. I’ve known a few folks here had labs whose hips were so bad they had to have operations v early with a lifetime of trouble ahead…) it s the perfect time of year too with the good weather coming so walks out will be easier and more fun for you - my dogs especially my lab never seemed bothered however cold and windy it was!! I’m further north than your Dad… and ok yes it s beautiful but bleaker and windier than green flat Orkney… I went there for the first time last summer and found it a beautiful and friendly place … and I love the accent.
Ive not managed round to see the chihuaha pups - had 2 good days then when I was raring to go - took some dizzy weak turns… it is a pest this chemo…but I hope to see them tomorrow all going well…

My big dogs people had a farm just outside Stirling. I could try and find their name - its somewhere in this clutter of a home… Baileys mum was a choc lab called Fudge and her dad was a black lab from someone who is on the Lab official club - (my brain is mince jsut now can’t remember the proper title etc) - she shows at crufts and such like and is adament about good breeding practises…in fact she bent my ear about people who breed labs just for profit etc etc… (and she is right!) I got her phone no from someone at my vets… We were so lucky with these people - the farming family drove Bailey up to aberdeen to save her an extra flight… and would have come right here had it not be so expensive on the ferry… so I will try and find out more info - it may take a while as Im heading south again on tuesday… let us know how you get on with the new GS litter

I start the new chemo - cmf on friday - wish me luck folks… Im soooo hoping it will be easier than the epi!
Its great having a ‘dog’ link and not just all about cancer… do you find that too?
take care
Suex

Hi Sue and Sharon

Snow!!! We have glorious sunshine here (the first in a long time) and I have been out walking the dogs with just a T shirt on!! Where abouts are you? I used to live in Scotland in a place called Nairn and my dad was Scottish, from Kirkcaldy. I absolutely love Scotland and am determined to one day move back. I really love the west coast - Ayrshire in particular and when I move to the coast, that’s when I will get my beloved Newfie to go with labs, greyhounds, chickens etc. I have my dotage planned out!! I love labs, Gemma is my second. My first, Bruce, was a big lad from Buckie. His mother was a rescue yellow girl and his father was a huge black gundog. Bruce was the gentlest, obedient boy and it broke my heart (still hurts) when we had to finally say goodbye when he was 14. How we got Gemma was very spooky. The very next day after having Bruce put to sleep, I went to work and one of the partners of the practice asked if anyone was interested in homing a chocolate lab bitch 1 year old. His sister had bought her and found out that they are very hard work and made her sit in the kitchen all day, consequently she chewed everything. This woman clearly didnt want a dog, God knows why she bought her, looked good probably. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we adopted Gemma that week and have had her for 8 years. I adopted Frankie, a retired racing greyhound 4 years ago as a companion. He is so dopey, its not true and they get on brilliantly. I would have another greyhound as well, as they are very gentle and affectionate and low maintenance. Sorry if I have bored you silly, but I am so passionate about my dogs

I meant to add - good luck with your chemo, sue - will be thinking about you

Cathy
xxx

Hi Sharon, I think for a GSD fan no other breed can compare. I’d just reiterate making firm plans for a puppy’s future in the event that you or your husband are left with no alternative - it would be a hard enough decision anyway, but knowing plans were already in place could make a difficult upheaval that little bit easier!

Sue, good luck with the CMF - I start 4 x Epi on 11 April, followed by CMF for four months, then rads and tamoxifen. Yuk. My hospital is 45 minutes away by bus, 20 minutes by car, and it still feels a daunting journey, so I really feel for you having so much travelling, though you’re in a beautiful part of the world. All the very best to you. Lyn xxx

Hi palomino, cathy & sue

Yes, I think it does you good to get away from “cancer” and all its bits and pieces sometimes and it’s nice to have something else in common. Having said that I’m interested in your chemo EPI and CMF followed by rads and tamoxifen. I had FEC and Taxotere, followed by rads and Ariidex. Is it different because I’m in my 60s - I don’t know how old you all are or is this a new chemotherapy regime that’s been brought out in less than a year?

Good luck with it anyway - the first couple of days are the worst!

Sharon

thanks for your good wishes… I feel a bit nervous but keeping in mind that most folks find epi trickier, hey ho… and of course the cannula’s are another challenge. Ive been giving my veins a talking to and telling them to plump up and show themselves as the strong thick beauties they are…lol

Lyn - lots of folks have very few problems and anyway there are lots of good tablets out there - so if you get constipated or heartburn - dont suffer in silence - the tablets do work :)) There’s ways round the naseua too … but always keep in mind when you are thinking about side effects - the very mainest biggest side effect is - …it gives you your life back…
Sharon my treatment plan is epi x4 cmfx8 radiotherapy for 5 wks and then a years herceptin. My cancer was a grade 3. Not sure why the differences for some of it but Im on herceptin coz I was hep2 positive. TAmoxifin is when you are oestrogen positive I think.

tomorrow I go to see the pups - I’m looking forward to that …ther’s something about happy dogs that make you just laugh out loud…
Cathy what an amazing coincidence - Ive heard about cats finding theri own homes - but what a happy home finding for Germma. Ive heard a bit about rescue greyhounds… they do seem very gentle and happy dogs… but not best friends with cats I believe? SOmething to do with their training. Just had a lovely thought there about my cats when I get my new pup… they adore my big lab - wonder how the dynamics will go with a tiny pup… it is good to have more than one animal isnt it.
Does anyone have any good stories about their animals. I have a small house and all doors lead into the hall. For a while my 2 cats had a new trick. I would be in one room and hear a sort of strange call from my big dog. She was abviously in some sort of fix - not scared but definately wanting me to go to her. So out I’d go into the hall and there were my cats in the hall trapping my big dog so she couldn’'t get out of the room she’d gone into!! Of course as soon as I appeared they scarpered, vocalising as they went.
happy dog walking days to you all
Suex

Hi Sue

Hope you are doing Ok - I am a bit of a novice to this BC treatment - what is epi? It all sounds so horrendous - I have been very lucky - just surgery and radiotherapy (for now). Going back to a much nicer subject, greyhounds are lovely but I wouldn’t trust Frankie with a cat. He is so laid back 99% of the time, but if he sees next door’s cat in our garden, he literally screams and goes mad. He is too old to catch a cat now if it was young and fit, but I dread to think what he would do if he caught one. Gemma joins in the howling, but has no idea why she is howling- it really is comical. She has come to face to face with a cat and has backed right off, scared as anything. Bruce, our old lab was fine with cats. We had a feisty litte kitten once who unfortunately died very young. She hated Bruce with a passion (very jealous) and used to try to out manoeuvre him in any way she could. She would leap up the stairs and he would follow, then she would quick as a flash, nip back down again. He, like the numpty he was, would be stuck and cried until we would rescue him. all we had to do was lead him upstairs where he could turn round and then go down again. So thick. She would also leap on his back and dig her claws in. Her eyes would be flashing with anger and he would be totally oblvious to this mad cat impaled on him. I think the fact that he ignored her got to her more than anything. She died when she was 6months with leukaemia but was sadly missed for her personality.

Take Care
Cathy
xx

I enquired about adopting a greyhound last year but decided it wouldn’t be suitable, I have 2 German Shepherds, a Collie/GSD/Lurcher X and a Beagle. When they play they grab each other around the neck where they have thick fur and loose skin, if they did this to Greyhound they could cause big problems. I decided in ten years or so when I am in my 60s and my current dogs are gone or very old I will adopt a couple of Greyhounds (rather than the JRTs, Lapsos and Scotties that most of the ladies around here have LOL
All the best
Val