Should I request referral sooner? IBC related

I’ve been unwell for a few weeks, and on Monday I started getting lots of pain in my left breast.  It’s a constant ache and sharp stabbing pains on top.


I went to see my gp today, expecting the “don’t worry it’s fine” answer - she didn’t give me that, and is treating me for mastitis for a week, and will refer me to the clinic next week if it doesn’t improve.  I havent breast few for four years, so she said it was unlikely to be mastitis, but it was worth trying first.


I was satisfied with this, but after checking (proper cancer charity) websites, it seems like the type of cancer it could be progresses very quickly.  Will waiting a week be ok?  I’m not sure if I should call and ask for a referral sooner?

Hi brightlight, 

I am sorry to hear you are going through this anxious time. I am sure some of users will be along shortly to offer their support 

In the meantime please do call our support services at 0808 800 6000 who can talk to you about what you are experiencing and lend a friendly ear.

Best wishes, 


Digital Community Assistant 

Thank you. The gp sent me for the routine 6 week wait. However new pain today Sent me back to the gp, and she found a small lump in the swollen area, so has now sent me for an urgent ultrasound and biopsy if necessary. Feeling a bit scared now

Sugar.  It’s at 11.50 on Friday.  Despite the good news at not havint to wait, I’m terrified that they’re seeing me so quickly.