Sickness and Nausea after chemo on exemestane

Hi
would be really grateful if anyone can help or has been in a similar situation. im posting on behalf of my grandma who finished taxol chemo in january for extensive liver mets, poss lung, bone and and a tumour on her kidney. Her last 2 scans show that the liver mets have shrunk are have remained the same, they are not sure about the lungs yet however and are going to scan in 5 weeks time to see for sure whats going on. She is being treated at the christie. She is currently having a bone strengthener once a month and is on daily exemestane. She is being/feeling sick almost every day and has been put on numerous different sickness tablets to try and help but they havent she is still feeling or being sick.the last tablet they prescribed was levomepromazine and she was sick after taking this. the christie have suggested that she have a blood test due to an inbalance of chemical ie calcium due to the effects of chemo but as she is not on treatment the GP is to do this but they say that its not necessary. we do not have much faith in her GP as she was not diagnosed for a long time after her first severe symptoms so are at a loss as what to do or what this sickness could be?we thought maybe the hormone or bone strengthener?or is it her condition getting worse? but then she has no major pain and can keep food down she is usually just sick once and the last scans were good so to speak. the sickness hasnt been there since before secondary diagnosis it appears to be since the hormone tablet started. If anyone has been in the same situation or has any experience of the symptoms my gran has any feedback would be greatly appreciated as i know the ladies on here are very knowledgeable,
Thank you Vicky xx

Hi Gav86

I’m sorry to hear that your Gran is having a pretty tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime please don’t hesitate to give the BCC helpline a call and talk these issues through with a trained memeber of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hello

I’m sorry your Gran is feeling rough.

I take examestane and at first was either being or feeling sick. It lasted for about 3 months, a bit like morning sickness!
I’m fine now, 12 months down the line, although I do get other side effects.

Fingers crossed it settles for her soon…

Katie x

Thank you katie for replying, it could well be the hormone then, thank you i hope ut settles down for her too and she gets some quality of life back sometime soon, take care and good luck with your treatment ,
Vicky xx

Hi Vicky

I’m sorry to hear that your Grandma is having problems on her current treatment, and I’m also surprised that neither Christie’s nor her GP have agreed to do what sounds like a simple blood test for her.

I’ve been on exemestane for more than six years (along with a tablet bone-strengthener and tablet chemo) for my liver & bone mets, which are reasonably stable. I don’t remember having any problems with exemestane, but we’re all so different in the way we respond to our treatments.

Two things struck me: your Grandma has only very recently finished Taxol - this chemo can be very debilitating, and so it must take quite a while to get rid of all the adverse effects. And liver mets can cause quite a lot of side effects themselves. That makes two quite plausible reasons why she might be having problems at the moment.

My oncology team is at the Christie’s too, and if I was being sick all the time, I’d be straight back there asking for support. I’d say this would be the best course of action for your Grandma, now that her GP has refused to do any blood tests - your Grandma IS on treatment, as she’s having both the aromatase inhibitor and a bisphosphonate. My experience of Christie’s has been excellent care and support over the 15 years since I was first dx with Breast Cancer - I do hope they are able to help your Grandma now, and that this is arranged soon.

Regards, Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,
thank you for taking time to reply
yes it is frustrating that a blood test hasnt been mentioned or done sooner, i think maybe christies meant that because she wasnt coming in weekly it would be easier for her for a GP to do it at home. The christie is amazing and we have now decided that we are just going to go through them from now on, though she is having a blood test taken tomorrow morning at home by a GP which is something!my uncle had to make a huge fuss though to make it happen my gran is just too rough to do so herself.
I think you are right about the two things contributing to the sickness, just hoping that they can find an anti sickness tablet that will work for her.Fantastic that your treatment has been so successful, long may you continue :slight_smile:
Thanks again for taking time to reply it really means a lot and helps to speak to people who are going through it as its still new to us and sometimes we just dont know what to do for the best. I relay all the info i find on here to my mum and my gran and it has put our minds at ease quite a bit at times when weve needed it most.
Take care
Vicky xx