Side effect of Tamoxifen - severe mood swings

Good evening all,

have been on Tamoxifen for only 1 week plus Mirtazapine which is an anti depressant. I was on paroxatine before and was told by my doctor and oncologist that I cannot take it with tamoxifen . I stopped taking paroxatine and immediately and started the Mirtazapine. Anyway I have never experienced mood swings and feelings of ending it all ever!!! I’m seeing a doctor tomorrow to discuss this. I’m so angry and I feel I’m not in control of my emotions. First of all I thought it was the antidepressant, however reading all the comments on here and other forums it looks more like its the tamoxifen!!! I’m seriously considering not taking tamoxifen anymore and just take my chances. I’d rather live happily than be like this even though I might not get a long life. I’ve been through chemotherapy and an operation and I was actually feeling normal again until this. I’m always a very happy person. This already is ruining my life

Hi Lady D ,you need to discuss the effects it is having on you asap with GP /breast team - sometimes it can have really bad impact on mental health in some people and you may need to stop taking it as previous people on this thread have been advised .Ring tomorrow to discuss.

I’ve just had similar discussion with my bc nurse, regarding Anastrazole.
I’m having days of crying and low, low moods.
She has suggested to come off it for 2 weeks and see if there is a difference… She said that this would not be risky…but I don’t know what to do x

I’ve always been upbeat and happy with lots of energy. I’ve been so emotional, unmotivated, gained weight, and cried myself to sleep and I don’t know why. I’ve never been depressed without cause (death of a loved one). This is so unusual and has to be the tamoxifen. I’ve been on it for 3 mo, but the depression has been slow to rise and the last 3 weeks have been difficult. I’m horribly out of shape since the Diep flap. I really don’t want to start antidepressants, anyone tried a personal trainer, to drop weight and increase energy, in an effort to help combat the depression? I want desperately to tell myself to just “snap out of it” :frowning:

Hi hun…ive had my personal trainer back…i used to have one regularly before all of this…id definitely recommend it as for me, it gives me an hour off about thinking about stuff and def motivates you.

…ive had trouble with depression on Anastrazole though hun…the PT puts me on a high for the day but doesn’t last lol x

Hi Ladybowler.
Think I’m going to take her advice and leave it off for 2 weeks…see if there any improvement x

Well…
I have stayed off Arimadex for a week now…amd hardly a tear to be seen!
It’s been a nice relief but I know i have to start it… (or another hormone tablet, over next couple of days!).
No hot flushes in the night neither.

Thanks Debbie
I need to speak to bcn tomorrow about what to do next… as it’s been a week and don’t want to leave it any longer.
Hope you continue to be ok on them xx