Side effects of Red Devil chemo

I have been where you are. ‘Red Devil’ is not nicknamed that without a good reason. It is severe in every sense of the word and I ended up hospitalised for several weeks but finished my course of treatment though 20% reduced. I am glad I stuck it out and just think of it as one day at a time and each day is a day nearer the end of the treatment. It did what it was meant to do so for that I am very thankful. Just put your faith in God who created you and take a step at a time. Sending you big hugs.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I had my first EC yesterday, the name Red Devil sounds frightening before you’ve even begun! I have docetaxal and cyclophosphamide 3 weeks ago but had 2. Severe anaphylactic shocks so yesterday tried the EC. No major reactions. Very bad headache and no appetite. I was really worried about being sick but so far so good but on lots of steroids and anti sickness drugs that help with that. Fingers crossed no sick! Although I have no appetite. Anyway today’s a new day it was sunny an hour ago but at least it’s starting to get brighter outside. We can do this ladies! Big hugs to everyone on here H x

1 Like

Morning everyone! I started my first EC on Thursday, I didn’t cold cap. I just wondered how quickly other people started noticing hair loss? Thanks H x

Hi @hc1973
Mine started falling out after about 2 weeks and had to shave it on day 18 as it was just falling out in clumps whenever I touched it and my head was really tender, I was advised to shave it grade 2 which I did, I’m now 9 days since second EC and I have a tiny covering of very fine sparse hair over my head which I’m expecting to fall this week but will wait and see, I’ve still got my eyelashes and eyebrows ( thinner)
I originally had very thick shoulder length hair.
Hope you are feeling ok after your first treatment, :heart:

Thanks so much for replying @elle16 it’s hard isn’t it as I just keep wondering when it’s going to happen! On a bit of manic steroid rush at the moment but finish them today so expecting to crash a bit tomorrow! I hope you are OK too H xx

I found it really difficult when it kept falling out, it was just everywhere and I found it upsetting and so out of my control so felt I took back a little control once it was off, I used a lint roller on it every day to mop up the bits :woman_facepalming: and I’m still trying to get used to it,
I’d ordered a wig but hated it so ordered another which I’m collecting on Thursday :crossed_fingers:
I had a rough week following 2nd chemo but have been really well last couple of days so hoping I’m on the up until the next one so going to try and make the most of the next couple of weeks :smiling_face: how are you? Xx

1 Like

The evidence shows with EC and D there’s almost 100% hair loss even with cold capping. The benefit is that the follicles will be less damaged and therefore regrowth will be quicker.
Unfortunately the chemo for primary BC is so harsh that your hair doesn’t stand much chance .

1 Like

I’m glad you are having a better day @elle16 xx

1 Like