Skin concern and getting nowhere…

Hello,
I wrote to you and also spoke to a nurse, about a small pearl coloured growth on my chest, about 5mm long, near collar bone.
Primary was stage 3 invasive lobular carcinoma with lymph node involvement.
I was advised to contact my GP or go to my breast care team. I did both.
First I saw a GP, who asked me ‘what I wanted to ‘ from my ! Told me that the lump was of no concern, and to have a few blood tests.
I am ‘discharged’ from the hospital team as 5 years have passed, and was advised to ask for a 2nd opinion at my surgery and so I made another appointment. They also said to ask at the surgery that I be referred back to the breast care team.
The 2nd GP refused to do this.
I called the breast care team to tell them, and this was a week ago and I’m still waiting for a call back after 2 calls.
I don’t know what to do next.

The lump is very hard, more like a nodule, not a spot, never had anything else like it.
I hope I’m not wasting your time.

If you think the nodule is of concern to you, ask to be referred to have the triple test - looking at the breast, mammogram or ultrasound, testing any suspicious areas with core biopsies.

Hi, How frustrating for you that it seems your worries are not being listened to. Did the GP give any explanation of what he/she thought it could be? I would bypass GP and keep trying the breast care team until you can have it seen. It may well be nothing, but if you are worried someone should take a look. I hope you hear back from them soon. Take care. Lisa x

1 Like

Thank you

Hi Georgie_Gee

Thanks for posting.

As others have said, it can be very frustrating to feel your concerns are not being listened to.

It’s always important to get any new and persistent symptoms checked out following treatment for breast cancer as you’ve tried to do.

We’re unsure who you tried to contact in your breast care team to report the lump to, but as @lisa49 says speaking to your treatment team would be a good idea.

You can contact your breast care nurse or call your surgeon or oncologist via their secretaries to do this. You may need to leave a message saying you have had treatment for breast cancer previously and are aware of the changes to be aware of after breast cancer and have now have noticed a new change you need to report which may need to be assessed.

Your treatment team may request that your GP refers you back to them so you can be seen, which you can inform your GP of, if necessary.

Please do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.