Sleep apnea following surgery

Hi

I had a 12hr mx/recon 2wks ago and since then if I lie on my back or sleep sitting up I stop breathing and then suddenly gasp for air which wakes me up constantly. If I lie on my side it doesn’t happen at all so this is what I do its just quite uncomfortable with my tram flap scar but preferable to not breathing. I have never experienced this before, it started after the op although in hospital I didn’t realise what was happening I just knew I was waking up all the time in a bit of a panic but didn’t know why. When I came home my lovely husband stayed awake for a few hours the first night to see what was going on and he said that as I went to sleep my breathing would slow down and then stop for a few seconds before I woke up in a panic. This would happen every 3-4 mins. I have asked the PS team but they don’t know why its happening.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Take care
Lemoncake
x

Hi Lemoncake
Not sure if I can help on this but will share my own experience. I used to snore a fair bit if I laid on my back but not sleep apnoea. However, after my mx and recon ( only 4 hrs ) I was kept in recovery for ages as I kept setting the mo intros off and was told sleep apnoea… I personally think it was more to do with the fact I am a shallow breather. Anyway, since I have been back home I have had to lay on my back, no sleep apnoea and no snoring…
It makes you wonder if there is something in the anaesthetic that affects some people ??
I know you have spoken to the PS team but perhaps they can check with the anethetists to see if there is anything they used that could have caused this for a temporary period. Otherwise, talk to your GP as they can do proper tests to verify if it is sleep apnoea and may be able to provide so ethi g to help. Hopefully this is only temporary and you get some answers soon.
L x

Thanks for your reply Lelly. I have tried to speak to the anethetists today but couldn’t get past an answer machine, I will try again on Monday. I was sitting up reading yesterday afternoon and I kept dozing off and then waking up because of my breathing, its horrible. At least it doesn’t happen at night if I lie on my side.

Take care
Lemoncake
x

Hi,

I had a mx and recon 3 weeks ago when i was in hosp i found the ibrofen was making me short of breath, i stopped taking them and kept to other pain killers this has helped alot. Its great u can lie on your side i had a LD recon and im still on my back uncomfortable because of fluid.

Erin
x

Hi Erin,

I only took Paracetamol so its not that. Thanks anyway. I hope you are getting on ok following your mx/recon.

Take care
Lemoncake
x