So many younger women with BC!

So many younger women with BC!

So many younger women with BC! I am just wondering after reading some posts why it is so many more younger women are being diagnosed with BC.

Years ago it was women in their 60’s and 70’smore so than in their 30’s and 40’s.

I am 44 and i thought i was young but after reading some postings on here i am not that young.

there seems to be very few drugs available for pre-menopausal women too and more work seems to be done for drugs and research for post menopausal women.
I wonder if this is being addressed and money spent on finding more drugs and help for younger women.

Just a thought
Ruth

I agree … with you, Ruth, there does seem to be a lot of younger women being diagnosed. I was at the Breast Clinic for a check-up last week and I particularly noticed that apart from myself and one other lady in her 60s, I would say the average age of the other ladies in the waiting room was under 30. In fact, one arrived complete with new-born baby in tow! I’m not saying they had all actually had a diagnosis of BC but they were obviously there because of a breast-related problem. Pretty worrying really and as you say, years ago it was almost considered to be an older women’s disease or is it perhaps that we just didn’t hear about the younger ones?

Jo

Hi Ruth To be honest I don’t think that there are proportionately more younger women being diagnosed nowadays, as there have always been some. In fact many of the older women I know who are long-term survivors of bc were diagnosed at least 25 or 30 years ago when they were very much pre-menopausal.

The increase is partly due to more people overall being diagnosed. In the 7 years between my first and second tumours, the reported yearly totals have risen from 35,000 to 41,000.

Secondly the proportion of younger women on any internet forum such as this is going to be high, simply because they are so much more computer literate than most older women and used to using the web to find and share information. They may be a small minority in terms of the total number diagnosed, but they are likely to be very well represented here. Does that make sense?

Kathy xxx

age and drug treatments I agree with kathyF. I think there may be a slight increase in the number of younger women getting breast cancer but the proportions are still roughly 80/20 with 20% of all cases being in younger womene. Younger women more likely to use the internet so numbers seem higher.

Younger women do seem to get more aggessive breast cancers and survival rates in pre menopausal women are rather less than in post menopausal women even takiing account for the type of cancer.

Pre menopausal er+ and pr+ women are not suitable usually for the range of aromtase inhibitors which er+ and pr+ post menopausal women can take. Younger women are more likely to be her2+ and herceptin is now available.

Younger women are more likely to be triple negative or er- and pr- and hence have no targetted treatments once chemo and radiotherapy have been tried. Its a scandal that there is so little research on triple negative breast cancer (but then as a post menopausal woman with it I’m biased.)

Breast cancer is awful for whoever gets it though I agree that it feels particularly hard for younger women who could have had an expecation of longer cancer free life than those of us in mid life.

But remember the oldies too…there’s a lot of age discrimination in cancer treatment in the over 70s.

Jane

I suppose Looking back I was young when I first had breast cancer 38, although I didnt think I was at the time. There was no Tamoxifen around then either, so nothing after radiotherapy.

Jan

Younger women One of the chemo nurses at my hospital told me she did not believe more younger women were diagnosed now. Her great Grandmother died of breast cancer at 40 years old. Apart from the reasons already mentioned on this thread, she cited environmental factors as another reason for any seeming increase in the stats.

Jenny

My mum used to go to chemo with a girl of 16 and one aged 26. My grans neighbours daughter died last year aged 29 she was diagnosed at aged 24.

Generally I think there is more young woment bening diagnosed with it and the government is sticking their head in the sand and kidding on its not happening, becasue this would mean they would have to decrease the screening age and hey that will cost!! call me paranoid it you want… : )

Sharleen

young women in waiting rooms I also notice this, but 9 out of 10 lumps are diagnosed as benign, so a lot of those women will be the “worried well”. A lot of younger women don’t realise that breast cancer is so much more common in women over 50 (80% of diagnoses). They are scared stiff they may have breast cancer - in fact most women are, but that doesn’t make them any more likely to get it.

Most breast cancer is influenced by oestrogen and the longer you are exposed to it, the more likely you are to develop breast cancer. Younger women are more likely to get the other version of breast cancer which is not hormonally dependent but unfortunately this is often more aggressive so the prognosis for younger women is not as good (generally speaking that is).

Mole

from another viewpoint After the trials I had with my gp just to get referred I wonder whether younger womens concerns are sometimes not taken as seriously. I definitely would not be where I am now if I had done as the gp had told me and gone home and drunk grapefriut juice for my breast pain. I hope I am the only person he said this to or possibly there are other younger women in my area undiagnosed because of this attitude, making the figures artificially low (my tongue is in my cheek a little).

Some quote bc as being ‘rare’ in younger women, maybe it isnt looked for in younger women, whereas it is more ‘likely’ in older women. Of all the women having treatment at the same time as me, at 37 I was definitely the youngest in my hospital.

Environmental influences must play a large part in increased cancer rates, all we need to do is find out what causes it and hey presto…

Steph x