son can't sleep, is there help for him?

My son is 11, and for the past month he has been scared to go to bed. I now have to sit with him and hold his hand until he goes to sleep, just like when he was a baby.

He says he just keeps thinking I am going to die. I give him as much reassurance as possible, but feel a little out of my depth. Is there anything out there specifically for children to help them with all these emotions which I don’t know about? or is lots of hugs the answer.

He was fine through my treatments, it just seems to be since things are getting back to some sort of normality???

Any advise would be welcome

Love to all

Helfire

hi there Helfire,
i think that there is a publication by breast cancer care on talkig to children, cancer backup may have one too. It might be that he has seen all the information during breast cancer awareness month and he realises just what Mummy has been going through.

He will get through this and it does no harm to ‘baby’ him a little. Right now he needs that extra cuddle and reassurance, make the ost of it, it won’t be long before he recoils at the thought of Mum hugging him! (they grow out of that too )

Hi Helfire

Here is the link to a booklet mentioned by quisie, it’s by Breast Cancer Care and you may find some helpful suggestions and ideas to help your Son:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/talking_with_children_0.pdf

Best wishes
Lucy
Breast Cancer Care

Thank you for your suggestions I will follow them up and, let you know how things go.

Helfire

Helfire
Just wanted to add my comments. I have an 11 year old boy so have an idea of the ‘difficult stage’. He has been a bit of a shadow to me since dianosis and we’ve had some talks about the treatment etc but I think he finds it very hard to express his feelings. All I can say is try to keep the lines of communication open - make sure school knows what’s going on at home and see if as much as possible he can get hobby or friend to be with.

It breaks my heart to think of my big man worried about me and I know all us mums find this so hard. Try to keep talking and let him know he is loved and respected. My son and I had a good chat (for an 11 yera old) and I told him how proud I am of him ,how much I respect his opinions and how he is maturing into a wonderful human being.

At the end of the day they still needs hugs and comfort (don’t we all)
Good luck

MuddyXX