Spring into chemo in March

Hi Angela
OOOhhh tell me more about the false eyebrows…do you mean have them tattooed on for free?
I look forward to hearing from you…
Big hugs
Jen x

False eyebrows??? Blimey, I didn’t know that. I will be first in the queue! I hate my eyebrows, always have, and would willingly shave them off.

hey, jen & Lola/linda
nuBrow® it’s not the site i originally found, but it’s a starting place for you. I have very fair eyebrows, looks like i never had any, so when i tint them i feel like i have bushes on my brow! so it won’t notice when mine go! But it amused me when i saw them… sorry if i offended anyone who might wish to try them tho’
A x
PS don’t shave them or you will have bushes when they grow back i think!

How Lovely to see the group growing so fast!!
_ Angela _ just seen in your post about moving to Spain, I am Spanish but I have been living in the UK for 18 years, I meet my husband when I was studing in Surrey and decided to stay here, really miss the sun but I could not been any happier!! I tent to spend the whole summer holidays with my children in Sunny Spain, my lovely husband joins us for a couple of weeks at the end and then we all get back together. Where about are you going? I am from Alicante.
I have also been feeling tearful today my brother has gone back to Spain today and it´s been lovely to see him and spend time with him; just made me realised all I got to look forward to now it´s starting my chemo. Tomorrow I have got an appointment with my hair and Beauty lady at the hospital, I will be trying a few wigs and few scarfs , not looking forward to loose my hair but I know It´s worse the thought of it!! I am scare about the children and how they will react to, today for the first time we have read them a lovely story about a Mum with Breast Cancer, the book it´s call Mummy´s Lump, and its so lovely to be able to explain everything to your little ones without scaring them, my BC nurse gave it to me, and it been so helpful I do recomend it if you got children.
On the 8th I will be having my chemo assessment, what test do they do on that day?
Lydia, Karen, Linda, Molly so lovely to have you all around giving us tips and advise I am sure it´s going to be very helpful to have you all around!
And yes Angela I agree We’re in it to win it! Not sure if you seen this video but really makes me smile; youtube.com/watch?v=BaQdwTsVtCY I think it will be my Anthem too!! Sleep well everyone and look forward to hearing from you soon; Lydia x

Ah!! Regarding eyebrow don´t forget its always tutorials in YOUTUBE on how to do your make up or draw your eyebrow
I just been having a look as I have big Spanish Eyebrow =0) x

Ladies, can I recommend www.surburbanturban.co.uk for really nice headwear, they’re not cheap, but are lovely, I used to get loads of compliments when I wore mine, which was virtually all the time. x

Hi all,
Especial thanks to Lili - I loved your link, definately going to make it my anthem too!
Thinking of you all
Suzy x

HI
Just popped in from january jems and noone could have been more frightened then me but it is mostly the fear of the unknown and hey im halfway through my fec-t and because i change to tax next time im nervous again. Everyones different and you wont get all of the side effects so dont be too scared.
Thanks for tips on eyebrows ive ordered some of e bay.
good luck ladies
jenny x

Hi, I’ve just popped in from the Valentines to wish you all well. I’ve just made it into February as I start chemo on Thursday. Re wigs - I was given a prescription by Macmillan after my visit to the chemo suite. Today I took the prescription to the Christie hospital in Manchester where I was fitted for a very nice wig by a lovely lady. The only charge was £17.20 for shampoo, conditioner, fibre oil, a brush and a wig stand.
I think every NHS trust must be different. It unfair to be a rather unfair lottery. My wig is a ‘Dimples’ New Roma.
Good luck to you all. Hold hands and March forward together!
Big hugs, Mandy x

Hi Angela,
The boys are quite understanding, and certainly keep me in tea! I got my HER2 status back today - negative, so still no further forward in knowing whether I will get chemo! I checked that my onc appointment was being sorted, so should have an appointment next week/week after. I have been out looking at hats and scarves, but refrained from buying more than 3, not sure I can justify more than that yet…
Hope everyone has enjoyed the sun today. Long may it last.
Best wishes,
MM x

Hi all…I started chemo last March and thought I would offer a suggestion about wigs. i had my wig fitting when I had long, thick curly hair, and although the wig fitter put a ‘stocking’ on my head, my wig was sooooo big when my hair fell out that I only wore it once (and I held onto it the whole time, worried it was going to fall off!!!). In the end I wore simple jersey hats, with bandeaus round, lovely straw hats when it was warm and woolly ones last winter. have been bared-headed since November and now have around 2cm of hair even though one of my pupils said I looked like his Grandad - bless!!).
For chemo…ask for what you need -don’t suffer in silence; eat what you fancy (most food tastes horrible much of the time); drinks loads of water (flavoured with juice as it will taste like metal after a time); keep a diary of side effects, and other notes about how you feel - I set myself little challenges (good ones!!) ; try and get some fresh air every day, it will make you feel better; take care of your skin…moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. Listen to your body - rest when you need to; You will feel veryntired, and it’s not until recently that I realise how tired I became - polishing the coffee table took 10 minutes and Imhad to rest dor 10 minutes afterwards. I worked all through chemo (except low white blood cell days) which worked for me, but appreciate it’s not for everyone.
Most importantly, look after yourselves and accept all offers of help, chocolate and flowers!!! Chemo is not easy,but doable, and apart from a few minor niggles, for me it is now a dim and distant memory!
Good luck…this time next year you will be supporting the 2014 posters…xoxo

Maryland thank you so much, that will really help us all!! I had today my wig fitting and was very impressed I Love My Wig, it is call Beverly and also bought a few scarves!! I had a good day today; saw all the lovely nurses at the oncology dept and they all give you great support but just before leaving the Hospital I saw a Lovely Lady looking very weak and really hit me!! But we´ll have to stay strong and positive and yes next year we be looking back . Next appointment 8th Chemo assessment and Pic Line on the 14th scary and not long now!! x

Hi Lili, we are going to live in Mijas, a white village inland from Fuengirola (where my SO will be working). I speak some spanish, but he doesn’t yet, so we’ll be enrolling at a language school.
i’ll message again tonight, have had a busy week of it with physio on tuesday, consent form signing (ran 2 1/2 hours late!) followed by bloods, heart echo and vein assessment in 3 other parts of the hospital. Arrived at the hospital at 10.30, and got home at 5.30… i was sooooo tired!
today there’s a “recovery in motion” day at Guy’s Hosp (it’s all day, but i have the dreaded dentist at 11 so i’ll go after that
speak to you all later. have a GOOD day today everyone
Angela xxx

what a couple of days i’ve had… i have to confess to a few tears when after an hour of sitting with my mouth jammed open, and whilst still in that position, the dentist announced that he couldn’t finish it today and that i’d need (yet) another appointment (that would be the 4th) i suppose the tears were from anxiety cos i thought i couldn’t have the treatment til after all chemo had finished (ie 4 1/2 months time) however i called the breast care nurse and she told me that it would be ok if really necessary just before FECx2. so i relaxed then and stopped worrying.
Lili, the tests i had for chemo assessment were the heart ECG, blood test and vein assessment for a canula and or PICC line or ?hickman line (i think that’s what it’s called) That’s what i had yesterday. MY CHEMO STARTS ON TUESDAY 5TH, NEXT WEEK. i’m pleased it’s underway, but i am a little nervous.
Chascat, thanks for the turban/scarf site, it’;s great
jenny, thanks for the encouragement x
Milly molly, how’d it go for you today? hope you are not too tired. i like your new picture too. my wig is free on NHS but i don’t know about any extras
Mungosmum, poor you being kept hanging on, very unsettling. Was there sun yesterday?! i missed it
Maryland, thanks for dropping by, and for your encouragement and advice. well done in your journey
have a good evening everyone, and keep smiling

Hi Angela,

Sorry about your hiccup with the dentist - as if root canal treatment isn’t bad enough without being spread over 4 appointments. I would check again with the Onco department about having further treatment so close to your chemo. If there is an unhealed wound in your gum the Oncologist won’t like it. I had my extraction on Monday and am still worried about it delaying matters as the dentist said it takes a month or two to heal properly. It’s the danger of infection when your blood count drops that is the main concern. My surgeon wouldn’t let me have the extraction just before my last surgery.

Linda, still waiting xxx

Hello ladies

I too am a March 2012 chemo babe. I was diagnosed in November 2011, had surgery January 2012 then chemo starting 1 March followed by radiotherapy and too am on Tamoxifen.

Yes at times it’s a hard journey, during all my treatment the feeling of putting your life on hold was the worse, Afterall if someine asked you to stop everything and soend the next 10 months tooing and froing from hospitals you would laugh at them. Like our other ladies have said you meet some wonderful fellow buddies and this forum is the best place to share your ups and downs. This time last year it was all the unknown, but now a year later I have a full head of hair back ( even if it cones back like Shirley Temple!)my life back and some great new friends as well.

I wish all of you every success and one tip I’d say is listen to what your body tells you, if you’re tired then rest, if you want a drink have one. You’ll get to know who your real friends are and family become a real crutch. Be prepared to pay a fortune in car park fees and you’ll get fed up if seeing certain parts of your hospital. I’ve just had my second mammogram for files so from initial visits to putting things to rest for your check ups it’s a long time.
Good luck to you all.
Carolyn

I can’t work out whether I am angry, or upset. After another day without an onc appointment (now day 10 after post surgical review) I called BCN (no call back), called onc secretary (she’s off sick so please call…), left message on alternative number (still no call back). Finally rang surgeon’s sec, who was also off today, but another team secretary picked up the phone, and helped (she was lovely). Although the referral letter was written and sent the day after my review, an appointment has not yet been made for me. As we are now late POETS day, nothing is now going to happen until Monday. ?@%&**£%.
After being steamrollered at beginning (three weeks from first mammogram to surgery), I now feel abandoned. This is trip is hard enough without knowing where the next staging post is going to be!
Rant over. Hope everyone has a good weekend, with lots of memory making times with friends and family.
MM x

ps - should commend BCN team for staying behind on a friday and returning my call.

I can understand how you feel MM. I have been waiting since 18th January no less, although I do have a date.

My BCN made my appointment with the Onc immediately after my first surgery review on 25th January. The appointment came through for 5th March. Nearly 6 weeks wait, but apparently this is normal , and is why the nurse made the appointment for me when she did, rather than wait for the results of my second surgery.

Rant away, thats why we are all here - to rant and to listen to rants!

Linda xxx

Hi Ladies
I would like to wish you all the very best through your treatment, be kind to yourselves and a tip , if you dont want to do something DONT do it, rest is of the utmost importance on chemo, anyway the reason I came on other than to wish you all the very best was to give you a fab website for scarves and bandanas , its called annabandana and I have had many remarks on how good all the items looked so check it out if you fancy something good value and modern-ish

Love to all xx

MM and Christine, now I realise just how fortunate i have been, as everything seems to have progressed really smoothly from diagnosis on 11 january to FECx1 on 5th March. I feel so badly for you both, as you just want to get it all over and done with. let’s pray that you both get appointments with the right outcomes early next week. I’ll be thinking of you both
Lottie63 thank you for the annabandana site. is that the one from USA? if it is, i agree, they are amazing, and i have been very tempted, in fact i might just weaken!