Starting chemo Thursday

I will be starting my first FEC chemo Thursday… I am anxious to get treatment… (surgery will follow chemo) but I must say today has been rough. We moved houses this past week and it kept me distracted but today in the house with everything in it’s place brought a slower pace and I began worrying. Because of redness in my breast, I keep fearing it is Inflammatory BC although I was dx with IBC with some inflammation. I guess I won’t know the grade, etc until after the do surgery??? I was first told by radiologist I had 2…one 2.4cm and the other 6mm with one node found on ultrasound and examination; however when the Drs examined me they said 4 cm so I suppose they are putting the 2 lumps together. Although they have given me a treatment plan…6-8 treatments of FEC and then surgery, I still am scared.

I also had my hair cut really short today and that made it seem so real… not a dream…

I took a tablet that the dr gave me to help relax earlier but today it just didn’t work. I also dread going to bed because when I wake during the night I get so full of panic.

Well I guess I have moaned enuf sorry peeps but thanks for being my sounding board.

*hugs and well wishes*

Hi Lee

Dont ever apologise for having a moan - we’ve all been there, and that’s what we’re here for!

I too am having chemo before surgery - my lump was 5.2cm x 2.5cm so my consultant wanted to shrink it as much as possible before a mastectomy. I’ve had my 7 out of 8 chemos and pleased to say, its working. Actually saw my Consultant tonight who said he can hardly feel it now - if at all. I had an MRI scan which confirmed the size and grade (would you believe I can’t remember the grade - maybe I didnt want to listen - but I think it was 2). Whatever, this chemo stuff is bloomin strong, and does the trick. I know you’re scared at the moment, but that will pass once you get started on your treatment.

I was the opposite to you - I loved going to bed (after taking a sedative, LOL!) knowing that I could sleep for a few hours and forget I had the big C. I would just wake up in an instant panic in the morning and dread the day ahead !

It’s still early days for you Lee, so don’t be too hard on yourself. Take all the support you are given, and cry when you need to - things will get better I promise, and good days will outnumber the bad.

Sending you lots of love and a big hug

Julie xxx

Hi Lee

Good luck with your chemo on Thursday, I have got my second one a week tomorrow (29th) and am on FEC too, but I have got 3 x FEC and then 3 x Taxotere. Try not to worry too much (yeah right), it is not as bad as I feared and no pain. And am pleased to say, that so far apart from one little mouth ulcer had no side effects. Took my anti sickness tablets religiously and doing my 4 x a day mouthwash and everything OK.

Cry, rant and scream as much as you like on here, cos will get loads of support. Cry and scream at home too when you need, better off out than pent up inside. This is not easy for any of us and think we need to let go as and when.

Let us know how you get on and sending cyber hugs too.

Love
Dawn
x

Hi Lee

I wanted to wish you well for your first chemo tomorrow.
I was surprised as it was not (honestly) not as bad as I had dreaded it to be. The nurses were fantastic and believe it or not helped me relax a little.
Just remember to take your anitsick tabs and get some recommended mouthwash!
I am in my second week and everything still feels sureal…
Next one 30th Aug.

Sending big cyber courage & hugs.
Keeps us informed.

Mel
x

Hi Lee

I have my 3rd FEC on 31st Aug, and it is going quite quickly so far. After my 1st one, I was examined and they thought the lump had shrunk by 1cm already. It is not as bad you imagine, it is not the scary, morbid chemo ward you imagine and the treatment of course does have it’s side effects, but if you are suffering, let them know straight away and they will change your anti-sickness drugs.

Good luck tomorrow, we will all be thinking of you.
Ali
x

Thank you girls… it’s tomorrow and this morning I am feeling alittle better than yesterday. I just with running to the loo every few minutes would stop before I start chemo cos the lower part of my stomach is so sore… I guess my colon is imflammed… irritable bowel from worrying maybe??? hope not a bug of some sort. Hoping the bloods they took Friday would show if it is that or nerves. When I wake up in the morning before I even realize I am totally awake I can feel my stomach knot up like when u r scared!

Have any of you read “the Secret” according to that positive thinking is really an essential so I want to be positive but how do u make the fear go away to feel positive? Also I bought the Breast Book by Dr Love… I know it is full of info but when I read it I get more frightened… gosh I am a mess.

Have a nice day and lots of good wishes. Thanks again for the comments… *hugs*

Hi Lee

Will be thinking of you today … be brave and remember it is not as bad as any of us think, and it is doable and you will get through this. My chemo nurse gave me 4 bottles of mouthwash - Oraldene, which I have to use 4 times a day, and so far only had one teeny tiny ulcer. Got this with all my antisickness tablets on prescription at the hospital.

Anyway, let us know how it went.

Love
Dawn
x

Hi Lee

just wanted to say I hope tomorrow goes well. I have finished my chemotherapy now and will start radiotherapy in Sept. I had the chemo before the operation to reduce the lump and it really worked. I found if I didn’t remember to drink plenty I felt worse. I read a book (some time ago) called Head Strong by Tony Buzan and in it he says a positive thing to tell yourself is “every day I am getting better” I keep telling myself that when I’m feeling down or when the effects of the chemo made me feel ill. You can apply that saying to anything (I used to use it when I was dieting, not doing dieting at the moment).

hope that helps
take care
sue

Thanks again… I will be telling myself that… I don’t think I am as afraid of chemo as the fact I am scared it has spread cos of node involvemnt… or what if it doesn’t work… I don’t know…toooooo many thoughts going on. I don’t want to be a coward but I sure feel like one!

I know this will be the best place for support. Will let u all know how it goes…thanks

lee

Hi Lee,

Its totally understandable that you are feeling anxious about tomorrow. I am currently having chemo, I started E-CMF in May and am now 2/3 of the way through. Unlike yourself though my chemo is post-op. I had a mastectomy and total axillary clearance in Mar.

When I went for my first chemo session in May I was abslolutely shi**ing myself. Honestly, you’ve never seen anyone sooooo nervous in your life. I must’ve been hell to live with those few days leading up to it!!! Anyway, I really needn’t have worried though as all my fears were totally unfounded. I cried as the chemo was started, I think because I was sooo scared of how it was going to make me feel, and there was a huge fear of the unknown. I don’t know what I was expecting but when I left the house the morning of my appt I made sure I had a ‘sick bucket’ ready for when I got home!! My tears soon subsided, thankfully. The whole experience really wasn’t bad at all and I left less than 2 hours later wondering what all the fuss was about!

I really hope your experience tomorrow is as ‘positive’ as mine was. Chemo is tough, mentally and physically, theres no doubt about it. But, it is VERY doable!

Take care of yourself and let us know how you get on,

Kelly
-x-

Thanks Kelly… appreciate ur comments. I am having FEC chemo… they didnt give me any guidelines other than drink alot of water! Hope it all goes well… thanks again

Dear Lee

You have been innundated with messages but just wanted to add my good wishes to them all. I have my 4th FEC on Friday, again chemo before lumpectomy, and I have been feeling fine generally. A little wobbly mentally at times but I echo everything said above about sticking with your medication.
My lump had shrunk by over a third by the end of the 2nd chemo and the texture is now soft.
I really hope it all goes well for you tomorrow.

Cecelia. x

Lee,

forgot to say, make sure you have something light to eat before you go tomorrow. I know food will prob be the last thing on your mind but they do recommend you eat beforehand,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Lee

I am on FEC and my first session was 2 weeks ago and it was fine. I took Kelly’s advice and had a bacon buttie for breakfast, but was given a drink and sandwich during my chemo which I ate too. It is terrifying for you, but I promise it will not be as bad as you fear.

Good luck for tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

Take care
Love
Dawn
x

Dear Lee

I hope it went OK for you today, let us know how you are doing.

Cecelia. x