Starting Gemcitabine and carboplatin - anyone else??

Hi my sister in law is on this and she says it’s fine she doing well she got it in bones liver and kidney and it’s doing it’s job x

Hi Pinkaboo,
Yes it is said to be very effective, I guess we just have to put up with the annoying trek to a more distant hospital, I do wish I could have it at our little local hospital!
I’m like you, I’m supposed to get two weeks of treatment then the third week off. In practice weeks three and four have been and gone and I still haven’t started the next cycle, because my neutrophils were too low. Next week, fingers crossed!

Hi Tatyana don’t no where you live but we have a macmillan unit but it’s just this carbo that is stopping me having it there but spoke to my breast care nurse and she gone have a word with my onc fingers crossed x how are you doing hope it does the trick that’s all that matters x

I’m about 40 mins drive from the hospital with a chemo unit, so it’s not bad really, only you can’t ever park so hubby always has to drop me off and then spend anything up to an hour queuing for a parking space, or go home and come back again!

The first dose of gemcarbo definitely worked for me, the lumps shrank noticeably. Which makes it all the more frustrating to have to wait longer for the next dose!!

Same for my the christies for me it’s not the traveling it’s how long you wait when I was going b4 went getting home till 6 all day there is a pain hoping it shrinks or gets rid of these nodes there only tiny so fingers crossed

I started Gemcarbo last Friday. Today I had bloods for day 8 gem tomorrow. Bloods are too low. Can’t believe this is happening in the first dose.
I’m triple negative stage IV with mets to liver, lungs & spine.

That’s good to hear x

Mooks, I was ok for my day 8 dose in the first cycle, but then had to wait nearly an extra two weeks for my bloods to recover enough to start cycle two. They are now prescribing the injections after the day 8 dose, but even with that, I’ve had some kind of delay every time, or had to miss day 8 out completely. I’m about to start round 4, and they’re talking about reducing the dose for day 1 ,in the hope that I recover in time for day8!

It’s very frustrating, but it is extremely common with gemcarbo, and it doesn’t mean you won’t be benefit from the chemo, they just need to adjust the doses and timings to find what’s right for you. Hang on in there!