starting radiothereaphy dec

Hello I’ve been using bio oil all through my chemo and asked BC nurse if bio oil ok to use while having radio she said check with radio team as thinks there may be some ingredient in was not quite sure I going to ask when there on 7 th dec but maybe someone might find out before me or you. Having boob out the way my scar looks not looking forward to that but it worked when I breast fed so hey Ho…

I thought I’d read somewhere that bio oil contained oestrogen, so if you’re oestrogen positive you shouldn’t be using that

Kinsee

Kinsse-Never knew that,i bought myself a bottle just after surgery,funny have not used it but tonight because my skin feels so dry put a few drops in the bath.Tigerpig

Evening tiger pig and Kinsee. Think you are right Kinsee. Skin care is important and varies from unit to unit. It is always best to use what you unit recommends rather than potions which might cause problems. If in doubt ask your Radiotherapist. Aqueous cream is the most commonly used but the most surprising creams can contain things that might cause rashes etc. in combination with DXT.
The biggest thing with Radiotherapy is not to rub the area or use anything containing perfume and pat the treated area dry or use a cool hair dryer. I downloaded the BCC publication, and you can ask for it from the Helpline.
Cackles

Hi everyone
I am joining this link as I now have my treatment plan and I go for the CT Scan next week (Tuesday) then RADS from 13th December until 5th January. It should have been just 3 weeks but the holidays in the middle mean that only one week will be the full 5 lots, not sure if that is a good or bad thing, I felt that I would prefer to have the 5 visits each week and get it all over as quickly as possible, but I do not have a choice and I feel bad about moaning about even this as I have been one of the lucky ones with the op sorting me out completely no lymph node involvement and only RADS to cope with. I know that many have much much more to cope with. I am using Aqueous cream already after reding what has been said here, I am sure that it cannot do any harm and just may do some good.

Hi all, I’m also starting rads In Dec. Start on 1st and finish, all going well on the 21st - so just mananged to get all the active treatment done by Christmas. I was told to use aqueous or E45. Had my planning meeting yesterday and had my 1st ever tatoos! (Ok, they are only freckles!)
Best wishes to all xxx

Hi, I start radio today! Last one will be 19th of december. Im looking forward to xmas like never before. But Im nervous, I so desperately want to keep ‘normal’ life going during treatment, doing the school run etc. Apart from skin complaints, how tiring have others found it? Were you able to cope with day to day life? And, all that is in my head at the moment is why? Why me? xxx

hello ladies am on day 3 of 20 will finish on the 16 dec.so far so good have also started tamoxifen (for 5 years) and again so far so good keep puting the cream on.ive got 1 and 1/2 hours jouney to the hospital so thats what i think will tire me out but you never now.at least its the last hurdle to jump!!!.

Hello dear ladies!

Since I found this site I was asking thinks for my mother.Her breast cancer was diagnozed in march.After her tumour was removed she started the chemotheraphy,which she finished at the end of september.Because of some kind of cyst on her breast wich was removed she wasn’t able to strat the radiotheraphy.I think that this will happen soon.She’s worried about the theraphy because of its side effects.She heard that the rads could affect some of the organs.What do you think about this and which are the side effects you experienced?

Hi there

Just in from my 5th radiotherapy session so only 10 more to go. So far so good, and I have been recommended to use Simple Soap, apply aqueous cream and only pat the area dry. I have been told that any soreness or redness is likely to appear 2 weeks after treatment finishes which for me will be over the Christmas period!! Let’s hope the aqueous cream does the trick!

As for tiredness, I’m not at work at the mo which I think is a big help, especially at this time of the year when it is so grey and miserable out. So far the most tiresome part is the 60 mile round-trip journey, and because car-parking is so bad I make sure that I get to the hospital well ahead of the visiting time parking to be sure of a space. The only trouble is this means a lot more hanging around waiting for my appointment, but, hey - you can’t win 'em all!

Compared to chemo, radiotherapy is a doddle, and, as Cherrytom says you get tattoos into the bargain!

Hi Deanima

I am posting a link to the BCC radiotherapy information booklet which may help, you can also contact our helpline or Ask the nurse service for help with your query using the following links:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/radiotherapy-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc26

Ask the nurse & Helpline

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/ask-us-your-questions

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi I am definitely joining this thread because my RADS start 7th December, been today for CT scan and tats. Thought I was coping well with everything then had a wobble last night worried about what today would bring, at least it is over now and I have a plan in place.
I am going to read the links that Lucy has put on now because no one mentioned cream today and I was too stressed to remember to ask.

I met a lady today who had just finished her last treatment of 20 RADS today she said it has been ok just the travelling to and from has been a pain and middle of the 2nd week she became very very tired so after treatment went home had an hour then was ok. Know we can’t all do that but sounds like a good idea, she said she tried battling through the tiredness but couldn’t do it.
Spoke to another lady she said she hadn’t really noticed any difference so I think it all depends on you and your circumstances, she only had 5 mins to get to the hospital other lady was doing a long trip like me so maybe it is the actual journey too, I don’t know but we are soon going to find out!!

They told me today that the RADS may start to make me feel a bit sick and tired over christmas, well Happy Christmas! hopefully our SE’s will be small

hi ladies-i had a wle july 5th and started 15 sessions of rads on aug 17th. i moisturised like mad with aqueaus cream for weeks beforehand-no side effects whatsoever-moisturised 3 times a day during rads-used no soap or deodorant on effected side-boob went a bit pink but no probs really.my hospital wasn’t too far away but i did book some time off work-i am 57 and fit before dx.11 weeks down the line all fine-but i do get exhausted sometimes-but just listen to my body and have a rest(which is against my nature as i’m an always on the go sort of person)-good luck to all-this time 3 months ago i was petrified-but i have been discharged from the oncology clinic and it’s just yearly mammagrams from now-feel free to ask me anything-on here or private msg me-stella x

sunflower-never felt sick at all x

thanks you ethlydsyl really pleased you didn’t feel sick, I can cope with anything but that. I am going to call the RADS team today regarding moisturising before hand as I say they never mentioned it all they said was I would receive a pot of cream when I start the RADS so thats interesting.

Hey Julita good to see you have joined the thread on here my lovely ‘virtual buddie’ x

Just a quick one to say that, if you are not prescribed aqueous cream, you can buy it over the counter relatively cheaply. Remember too that your breast tissue extends beyond your boob so apply it over a wider area for better protection going up to your neck, extending to your underarms and down your torso.

Also, I was told not to use deodorant either when having my radiotherapy session so let’s be thankful that this is not hot, sweaty weather!!

many thanks Mazzalou you know what I don’t know what we would do without this site it is so helpful

and oh boy yes I am glad it isn’t going to be hot weather after the lymph op when I couldn’t shower properly or shave etc my pits were…well shall we say not pleasant :)))

I have been putting little spots of E45 on my scars and now my tats looks like I need to slap it on all over thanks for the tip x

ladies hope you dont mind if i join in!!iam day 4 out of 20 so far so good only thing i will get hopefully is fed up with the travling 1 and a 1/2 hous there and back for 10 mins at hospital (if they are on time)am putting on aqueous cream all over boob cheast area will keep you posted as how iam doing
take care
queenie

I suppose that one of the pluses of chemo (as opposed to the countless downsides!) is that I didn’t have to worry about shaving my legs or underarms all summer.

Today I am 8 weeks since my last chemo and I keep looking at my leg hairs which have started appearing, and, like King Canute, I keep telling them to go back and reappear on my eyelids but they do not take any notice, and just wave at me!

Why is it we wait so long for certain hairs to appear, whereas the ones we have previously spent hours in the past getting rid of, come and flaunt themselves shamelessly? Is there no justice in this world?!

At least all this points to my ‘green shoots of recovery’ as my body slowly recovers from the battering it has endued these past few months.

Anyway, back to the tips for starting radiotherapy - I have also been advised to try and wear cotton and natural fibres next to my skin and avoid underwired bras. I bought some Sloggi crop-tops to wear in bed after my mx with reconstruction and these are a good idea as they give you some support, but are lovely and soft against your skin. They wash well and are quick to dry too which at this time of the year is important too. They cost around £10.

I think that this is worth bearing in mind too. I had my 6th of 15 rads today and asked the radiologist if the treatment makes you feel tight and stiff in the underarm area as I seem to be finding raising my arm on the treated side uncomfortable. She said this can happen as the area becomes inflammed, and recommended that I now start doing my post-operative exercises again, and continue for a couple of weeks after my treatment finishes.

Mazzalou I didn’t know that I could have problems with movement of my arm with RADS treatment that is really annoying because I have only just got rid of cording! Hopefully will be ok but I am going to keep up with the exercises in preparation. I still can’t get used to my new tats especially the one on my chest it looks like a big blackhead that needs popping, I really have got to ignore it.

Please keep us posted queenie on any tips you get along the way, I feel really anxious about the RADS think maybe when first one is over with I will be ok. They suggested taking a CD into the treatment room, is it worth it for the time you are in there? I do love my music but also can’t help jigging about when it is on worried that I wouldn’t be able to keep still :))