still sore beast and upper arms 4 weeks after op & now have sore port a cath

My surgery was over a month ago. I still have super sensitive upper arms and nipples. Only way to get to sleep is topless with my arm tucked under my head - so preventing anything touching my skin. Very sore & unconfortable. How long will this last?

It’s now feels worse as I have just had my 1st chemo. The nurse struggled to get into the porta a cath which is in the right axilla - something she hadn’r previouslt dealt with. Despite painkillers, its very painful & I feel like I have had surgery to both sides!!

Hi Sharmila,

Sorry you haven’t had any replies to your question as yet, but I am sure someone will be along soon to give you some much needed support.  In the meantime could I suggest you give the helpline team here a ring and have a chat with one of the staff, they’re here to support you.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hello sharmila
I had a mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy in March and had a lot of pain and sensitivity which wouldn’t go away with painkillers so my team suggested 10mg amatriptlyne and this has made a huge difference . I have a skin expander in and as i had radiotherapy 5 years ago my skin is very tight but the amatriptlyne makes it bareable.
Talk to your team or GP they might suggest something different I believe they sometimes give gabitentine as well.
Good luck
Glitterbug