still worrying about radiotherapy

Hi there

I can’t stop worrying about the radiotherapy that I have received. Some of the radiographers seemed to really take their time and line things up precisely whilst others did things much more quickly and it seemed with less care and interest. I gather that some of them are agency staff not permanently at the hospital. Perhaps I’m being stupid but I keep worrying that it was done correctly particularly as it was over the heart area.

All this anxiety is driving me mad!
Elinda x

Elinda i found that too. The women messed about more than the men. I had students a lot too and they took ages!
They know what they are doing and just practise as different speeds. Try not to worry too much

S

Hi Evie 2007
I think all radiograthers are different. I worried at 1st when they seemed to do everythink fairly quickly. Then realised that they were just efficient as they seemed to get to know my positioning. Also, I learnt where to start off fairly well on the couch. I found if I was just about to slide off then it seemed to be right. I had 15 sessions and after each 5 they checked that the position was right by taking images of the boob so they can see they are in the right place. A bit like xrays. I got used to some of the numbers for positioning so again knew if they were Generally on the ball.
I’m sure all is ok, but none of us can help worrying as for most of us this is a totally new experience.
Good luck
Margaret
xx

Hi
Sorry Evie and Elinda. Just realised when it came on the screen.
My brain is on holiday at the moment. Hopefully it will come back next year.
Hey, it’s snowing here in sunny Manchester. Maybe a white Xmas??

Margaret
xx

I haven’t had images taken after each 5 treatments so it sounds like they were more careful where you were Margaret.

I have been positioning myself well but I can tell one senior radiographer wasn’t as precise. When others work with her they seem not to be so bothered either. For example they always marked with pen (as well as the tattoos) except when she was there. I just hope and pray that she was concentrating at the important times.

Elinda x

Im sure they were elinda. I had images taken periodically too. Unsure why.

S
X

Hi Evie
Got you right this time. I was talking to the radiograthers one day when the machine wasn’t working. The breast tissue shows up as shadows so they can tell by the shading that where the radiotherapy is aimed at is correct. At least that’s how I understand the process. I was part of the Low Import trial which is trying to determine how much radiotherapy to give people. I was in a group that had 2 different doses , one full dose where the tumour was(plus 2mm safety margin) and a slightly reduced level on the rest. Maybe this is why they did the imaging and appeared to be more precise with the positionong.
Cheers
Margaret
xx