Sun lotion, any particular strength while on Tamoxifen?

I’m afraid I’d say be careful for ever - I had radiotherapy back in 1991 and although I tan pretty easily the chest area has remained quite easily burned - I could feel it heating up when I was in the sun.
Didn’t have to keep completely covered but did tend to use a higher factor sun cream there and I did stay out of the midday sun. I’ve just had a second primary in the same breast so I had a mastectomy in January and I notice now the radiated skin area seems to have woken up again and gets slightly sunburnt feeling even when covered up if I’m sitting anywhere sunny.

When I said I tan easily, I meant I brown, not that I burn! As I said, I am already a bit brown just from pottering in my garden at home. I never take risks with the sun, and I don’t sunbathe. However, due to my aches and pains, I may spend a lot of time in the pool this year and so will be getting a higher factor cream for then.

Re lymphodeama. It is very mild and I am not currently wearing the sleeve. I am massaging though and this keeps it soft and settled.

There really is very little point in a beach type holiday if you can’t tan. Sensible behaviour is the key!

I’m off in 6 days time and will report back. I am curious though why flushes lessen or stop? Mine did in Turkey but the climate was so hot at the time, maybe I did flush but was warm anyway?!

Hi Irene

I think I’ve heard that the flushes may stop or lessen when people are on holiday because they are more relaxed (as stress make them worse).

I am really glad you do not have to wear the sleeve - I can manage without mine sometimes, but not all the time. I been told to always wear them for flying, though as the reduced cabin pressure is not good for lymphoedema.

Have a great time.

S

I said I would report back re flushes / tanning abroad. I did flush this time but not too bad most of the time. I tanned gently, using a factor 20 for the first 3 days then onto a 10. As I said, I tan well. No reddness or soreness, but basically didn’t sunbathe as such, just swam a lot and when out and about used cream as per usual.

Didn’t use my sleeve, but got a fright when bitten (by mosquitos) we think at night. Mostly on my bad arm! Luckily I had a nurse with me who pampered me, cleaning and dressing the bites. I am left with one that is taking a very long time to subside, but touch wood no increase in the lymphodeama. I must admit, I didn’t think much about bites and the consequences. Next time I’ll take a long sleeved top for sleeping.

Irene