Support needed really...

Hello Everyone
I haven,t been around for a long time.
I had a mastectomy and reconstruction in April 07 followed by chemo. I feel I coped pretty well with everything and was looking forward to getting on with things once the chemo was finished. My hair has grown back great and I look really healthy.

However, exactly one year later I was having problems along the top scar line of the reconstruction. The cancer was back. A month ago I had 2/3rds of the recon removed right back to the breast bone and a large area beteween the breast and shoulder. I look like I,ve been mauled by a shark!

Last week I was started on Herceptin and in two weeks they will start chemo again (they want the skin graft to heal a bit more first).

I,m also having a PET scan on Thursday.

Just how common is recurrence?

At the moment I feel like I,m wading through treacle, and basically need a bit of TLC!

AslansMum

Hi AslansMum,

I’m afraid I cannot offer any advice regarding your recurrence but I just wanted to say that I am sorry that your cancer has returned and that you are feeling a bit low. I know that there will be people along soon who are far better equipped than myself to answer your queries but in the meantime I hope you are ok and good luck for the scan on Thursday.

Sinead x

Hi AslansMum

Whilst you wait for the other forum users to reply with their experiences you may find it helps to talk this through with one of our trained members of staff. Here you are able to talk in confidence about your concerns and the staff can offer you a listening ear aswell as advice if required. The number is free phone 0808 800 6000 and the line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm.

I hope this helps

Kind regards
Sam

Thank you Sam, but I don,t live in the UK. I live in Turkey.
Maybe that,s why it,s so hard, I have to overcome the language barrier as well as all the other stuff.
My Turkish is fairly good but isn,t up to medical standard!!

AslansMum

Hi AsiansMum

Please feel free to call the helpline for a chat to one of our team, although treatment plans are often different abroad they can offer a ‘listening ear’, it may help to talk your worries through with someone in confidence. The line is open tomorrow 9am-5pm the overseas number for helpline is (+44)2076200077.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi love we ‘spoke’ before.I have a son in Turkey married to Turkish wife so Hos Geldiniz to you again though I am so sorry about the recurrence.Hope Aslan puss is well.Love Valxx

Hi AsiansMum

I had a lumpectomy on Jan 06 and a recurrence in August 07. I hen had a mastectomy followed by chemo and now herceptin.

It did feel worse the second time round because I felt the cancer was out to get me. However I got over that ‘wading in treacle’ and now get on with life as ‘normal’ as anyone can.

What ever time I have left is going to be focusing on my usual business, I would love to take off into the wild blue yonder, but life is not like that I have a family and a way of life to tend to.

I don’t worry too much because I feel that it was stress that started all of this off in the first place.

I hope all goes well, take all the treatment they can offer you it will probably help the mental state if nothing else. Well that is in my experience anyway.

Carol

Sorry ladies, thank so much for your replies.
I really appreciate it. I am soooo tired.I will answer 2moro xxx
Is this normal for Herceptin to ne tired???

Hi Everyone
Val I do remember our “chats”. How is your son and family coping with the hot weather?

I am really struggling with all of this and the heat doesn,t help. I,m off to Antalya which is a 3 hour drive, I,ll stay the night and will be having my scan first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed I get good news when the results are through.

AslansMum

Hi AsIansMum,

I’ve had 3 bouts of Breast Cancer. The first was in January 2001 where I had a lumpectomy followed by a 6 week course of radiotherapy. I got the 5 year all clear but 6 months after that (October 2006) I was diagnosed again but with a different type of cancer. This time round I had a skin saver mastectomy and a Lat D reconstruction. As the lymph nodes were removed in the first instance I was told there was no possibility of it having spread so I had no further treatment.

Unfortunately in October 2008 I was diagnosed again with a recurrence of the 2nd cancer with the possibility that the cancer may have spread to the lungs. I had 6 cycles of chemotherapy (3xFEC, 3xTaxotere) followed by another mastectomy(May 2008). As this was my third instance of cancer in the same breast I bullied my consultant into removing both breasts as I couldn’t face the possibility of being diagnosed a 4th time.

My BCN told me that this was an extremely rare situation and that they have seen very few instances of a recurrence after a mastectomy. That was part of the reason why they agreed to the bi-lateral mastectomy.

I’ve been really lucky in that CT scans have suggested there is no change in the lung area so they decided it was not secondaries. I’ve healed really quickly and am actually back at work, albeit on a part-time basis.

I hope everything works out for you.

Hazel

Thank you all for your support.
I just wanted to share with you that the PET scan has come back clear as have tests on my lungs and kidneys.
I feel much more optomistic now especially knowing it hasn’t spread into my bones.

I hope everyone else is coping with their treatments.

AslansMum