Surgery choices

Hi everyone-

I am 35 and have just been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma in my right breast. My tumor is less than 2 cm so I was recommended to have  a lumpectomy and radiation.

I would be fine with this as a treatment plan as I wouldn’t feel my chance of recurrence was any lower with mastectomy given my age and therefore the odds.

But my doctor said that if /when it does recur, I will have to have a mastectomy and will no longer be eligible for reconstruction with implant since I would have already had radiation.

Now I am considering having a mastectomy with reconstruction instead of lumpectomy to protect my future cosmetic options. Of course it is hardly an easy decision to give up a breast and commit to lifelong implant maintenance either.

Has anyone had to make this decision or had the lumpectomy and then recurrence?

thanks,

Jessica

Hi Jessica13

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below links to one of our publications you might find helpful.  You may also find it helpful to give our helpline team  a ring and have a chat with them about your concerns, calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc151

You might also find you get more replies to your question if you post again in the going through treatment - surgery forum as there are a lot of threads there where this is discussed.  (It’s the green box on the front of the forums home page)

I hope this helps.  Take care,

Jo, Moderator

I have also recently been diagnosed and was advised, due to my age and other circumstance, to go along the mastectomy route. The doctors are almost certain my BC is genetic and therefore, having radiotherapy could be extremely detromental as it could cause other cancers in the future. Furthermore, due to my age and the “density” of my skin, I would need extremely strong doses. They also highlighted the fact that I would not be able to have recon afterwards, and how it can be psychologically difficult in that way. In my opinion, I’d rather have the mastectomy,with the knowledge that the cancer will be removed with the breast, and that there will be some form of replacement there afterwards. Hope this helps x

Hi Teemaunga

Our helpliners are back in the morning at 9 so please feel free to call to talk your concerns over, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

You may find the following links to the radiotherapy and reconstruction information on this site helpful at the moment:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/radiotherapy

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconstruction

Take care

Lucy BCC