Surgery dressings caused blisters

Hi all, has anyone experienced blisters or sores from those stick on micropore dressings post surgery. I’m quite a big girl and had a WLE and ANC last week. Just the next day I felt burning and friction from the edges of the dressings and the result is quite severe blisters and sores on my affected breast. Three of them are open to the air,but the fourth is under the breast so is not drying in the same way. I’m very concerned about infection but apart from walking around naked with it propped up to get air circulation I’m not really sure what to do!

Anyone has the same?

I have had the same thing,I thought my scar was sore and itchy but when I tried to remove the dressing my skin was coming off! It even happened with the steri-strips! But other times I have been ok.
I just left them open to the air as they were on my upper breast.
Try your local pharmacy to see if they can suggest a gel type dressing maybe.
Good luck
Dot
xxx

I was given Tegaderm (the stuff that looks like clingfilm) and it gave me a rash. Did the same for my daughter.
I now have it down as an allergen.

Make sure that whatever it is, is now in your records as a “do not use”.

Hi there,

Not quit the same, but may help I hope. I had a small wound from my reconstruction in the crease under the bust that was very reluctant to heal. In the end, I put two cotton wool balls in my bra either side of the wound to lift the breast away from the fabric and allow some air to circulate, and that seemed to do the trick.

Julie x

Hi All,

I had this happen to me following surgery. I am now allergic to nearly every dressing - to put it into perspective I am actually allergic to the adhesive the dressings use not the fabric - usually colophony, found in a variety of products not just dressings. I also became allergic to the dressings used to cover the drip needles as well, so a real worry for the surgery I have had and for the future surgery I am expecting to have in the next few weeks. I was then prescribed mepilex light or allevyn drssings. They appeared to be ok and so these will be the ones that I now/ will demand in future. Needless to say they are quite a bit more expensive than the conventional dressings but worth every penny if you are suffering.If all else fails, demand to have the involvement of a tissue viability nurse whose job is to deal with tissue damage and has a wealth of knowledge about these issues.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Maggie

Hi,
Boots sell, in the baby dept some soft cotton wool style pads, about the size of a panty liner. About 50 in a pack for £2.50 I think. I found these great for tucking under my breast scar inside my bra. very soft and keep the skin apart from the torso allowing wound to dry out.
Jude xx

Good tips ladies, thank you. Maggie, what you say about colophony is interesting and now having done some research on that it makes sense as I have had trouble with pine sap before. I have to wear gloves to dress the Christmas tree!! I’ll definitely get a note on my file saying “do not use”. This process is hard enough without extra complications.

Heading to Boots right now.

Hi Sissors,

Glad to of been some help. The trouble I found was that no one includes colophony in their list of ingredients so have found out a lot by trial and error. The pads in Boots sound a great idea and I hope they work

Take care,
Maggie xx

Hope you managed to find some Sissors, and that they help a little,
Luv Jude xx

“I also became allergic to the dressings used to cover the drip needles as well”

Tegaderm again. Quote it by name.

Scissors - you sound similar to me. Had my first surgery (WLE) and had quite a few blister type sores down my cleavage at the edges of the plaster. Went back for reconstructon 3 years on and informed them I was alergic to plaster. That clever BN said it was not an allergy but the skin being pulled (im a 36d/dd now with my LD flap insert to that shrunk boob. Was told to leave it to the air and it would eventually dry out. I/we worked at moving the dressings very frequently to give the skin a rest and not compromise the same patch of skin.