Switching from Exemestane to Tamoxifen

Hi 

I switched from Exemestane (which I was on for 5 years) to Tamoxifen in January 23. This weekend I’ve started with a period (first one since before treatment) and it’s been so bad. It’s been a lot heavier than my periods were before treatment. Will it continue like this monthly? The thought of having heavy periods like this is really getting me down. 

thanks

Hello White84 

Thanks for posting asking about the bleeding you have had at the weekend. It’s understandable the thought of this is getting you down. 

You explain being on exemestane for 5 years and were switched to tamoxifen in January. Exemestane is only prescribed in women who have passed the menopause, whether this is a natural menopause, treatment induced or from ovarian suppression . Unless you also stopped ovarian suppression treatment when you switched to tamoxifen it’s not clear why you would now be having periods. 

A less common side effect of tamoxifen is that it can affect the lining of your womb, so it is important to contact your treatment team to explain that you have had some unusual vaginal bleeding. If you have been discharged do make an appointment with your GP to talk this through. 

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.** 

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

We are closed on Saturday the 10th June for staff training 

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes 

Jane  

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.