swollen node months after surgery/chemo

Anybody had a swollen lymph node in armpit months following surgery? My mum was diagnosed in November 2014 with breast cancer spread to a number of nodes in axilla. She had chemo then surgery and they took first 4 nodes. They were all clear post chemo. She then had radiotherapy. This was completed approx July 2015.

My mum told me today that she has a swollen lymph node under her arm. It has been swollen since surgery so at the time they (consultants) said it would be a reactive node (to the surgery - this was about June 2015) and they weren’t going to chase lymph nodes. However she noticed last week that it’s much bigger - 2cm her doctor said. She has been referred. All I can think it is is the cancer. She had 4 nodes removed in June  and they were clear (this was post chemo though - pre chemo they were positive). Has anyone else had swollen nodes 4 months post surgery? I’m now thinking that they never took the correct nodes :-(.

xx

Hi Daisy1975, 

I am sorry to hear that you and your mum are going through this anxious time. I am sure some of our users will be along soon to offer their advice and support.

You may also like to try posting on our ‘Family, partners and friends’ board which I have linked below.

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Family-partners-and-friends/bd-p/4451

In the meantime do call oursupport line at 0808 800 6000 who can talk to you about your mums swollen lymph node and can offer a friendly ear. The line is open 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant

I’ve just posted, I had cancer diagnosed August 2012 and had lumpectomy, chemo, radio & now on tamoxifen. Found lip under my armpit today. Going doctors in the morning. I’m so scared xx

Hi julielola

My mum was still waiting for an appt 10 days after her GP referring her so I suggested she called the breast cancer nurse today. They told her that she is not discharged for 5 years so she should’ve have called them first. They got her a consultant and ultrasound appt for tomorrow. You should call one of the breast cancer nurses - it gets things moving faster. Hope it is something innocent for you.
Xxx

Thanks. Went to doctors today and got appt for 15th. I didn’t even think about ringing the nurses so have just done it and left a message. Hope your mam is okay and it’s all good. Let me know if you get a minute xx

We are at the hospital now. Had a US and a biopsy as consultant agreed it’s a large lymph node. Your BCN may be able to get you in quicker.
Xx