Tac chemo?

I had 6 TAC chemos between August and End November 07 - then surgery - and am now in the middle of 25 rads. I didn’t realise it was so unusual here. Basicaly I was told it was the most poisonous cocktail they do - effective at shrinking grade 3 tumours before surgery - I am triple negative so there is no other ‘tools’ to use as my onc says - just this. It worked really well for the first three sessions - shrinking the tumour to about half its original size - then didn’t seem to do any more and there were still active cancer cells when they eventually removed it - - but it hadn’t spread to the lymph nodes (although they sometimes can’t tell if you have chemo first). I found it really tough but managed to keep going. Went back to hospital once with very low white blood count and chest infection - but otherwise just carried on - managed to do 2 kids birthday parties, halloween and a week’s holiday at half term including some 2 hour hikes - but in general I felt pretty rubbish most of the time - and it got worse again at the end - it is accumulative. Try to rest as much as you need. I have also suffered with very sore, stiff legs and numbness in my toes which is also normal but will apparently improve as the healthy cells return to normal. My hair started growing back pretty quickly after the last chemo - but it has also come back all over my face! I look like a fuzzy bear! Again the bc nurse said this was normal and it will all settle down - deep joy!

Anyway I am new to this site so sorry I didn’t pick up this thread at the beginning - but it sounds as if you are doing really well - better than me!

Good luck for the next one! Nearly half way there already…

Love Mary x

thanks for linking in here…hairy face sounds a real treat!! what joy it all is…i’ve now had three lots and still feel wretched and very depressed for a few days after…but think its the post steroid downer…never mind…I spose we have to hope that it is doing a good job for us all.

good luck to all tac girls

Loux

It is completely normal to feel depressed for a few days and my bc nurse warned me that number 3 can sometimes be tough as it all starts to hit home and you are already weakened by the treatment -half way point and all that - but if it does - remember that it too will pass! You can soon look forward to having a furry face! I did read on an American site that this is a top combo for certain types of tumour and the latest thing so I guess we are lucky to have had access to it…

Love Mary and good luck…xx

thanks mary. Interesting to hear your comments on efficacy. I have’nt read much, well anything about this drug combo. Have you found any links where I can read up on it?.

No I haven’t looked much further into it recently - but I met an American woman at the clinic who had done a ton of research through her US oncologist and also through my French family who spoke to a top onc in Paris and both recommended it for my case - but each case is different so it may not be ideal for everyone. I avoid doing too much research on the internet as it can lead to finding out things which are not helpful to me psychologically. Best to talk to the BC nurse or the consultant if you can…

Hope it is still going ok - I now only have 2 rads left to go out of 25 - yipee! Hair looking really quite respectable now too which is nice…bought a bottle of shampoo this week - never knew hair washing could be such fun.

Love Mary x

thanks that sounds like very sensible advice which i will stick with. I think you are absolutely right and I have also realised that some information is not helpful. So pleased to hear of hair coming back. I am getting really bored with hats already and still have 3 chemos to go. So how long did you wait for a respectable shampooable growth???

can’t wait to wash hair rather than baldy pate!

Louxx

nxt chemo tomorrow