Taken steroids today when shouldn’t have

I was originally supposed to be having Paclitaxel weekly and had a prescription for Dexamethasone 5x2mg to be taken on the morning of my chemo treatment.

However I had two allergic reactions to Paclitaxel and so was switched to Abraxane (nab-Paclitaxel) every three weeks. I still took the steroids on the morning of each session. Today was my second session and I mentioned to the nurse that I needed more steroids. She said that I wasn’t supposed to be taking them with Abraxane. No one had told me this!

So what, if anything, might be a consequence of this? Also do I need to do anything about it? I know you are supposed to taper off steroid doses for example - does this apply to me?

1 Like

Hi @scientistamafier

If I read this correctly and you have been only taking 10 mgs every 3 weeks then you shouldn’t need to taper off it .

As far as I understand it if you’re on chemo there should be a number you can ring 24 hours a day if there are any problems or concerns and I think that might be a good idea just to be sure and put your mind at rest .

Take care
Joanne. X

I don’t imagine they would cause you any problems other then maybe a sleepless night due to the steroids .

I had two bad reactions to chemo and was switched to abraxane but still had steroids because of the reactions. I had further 6 cycles of abraxane when diagnosed as secondary & again had steroids. Might be worth checking with your oncologist as the nurses queried this when I had them. Hope the rest of your treatment goes well xx

Hello scientistamafier

Thank you for your post.

Drugs including steroids are usually given to reduce the risk of an allergic reaction whist on some chemotherapy treatments such as Paclitaxel.

As your chemotherapy has been changed to abraxane due to you having an allergic reaction we would suggest you contact your oncologist as @rabbit28 suggests. You can let them know about the steroids you have taken and ask for a clear plan for your mediation going forward.

It may be helpful to keep a record of the dates you took the dexamethasone for your discussion.

You have already told your chemotherapy nurse and as @JoanneN mentions you could also contact the 24-hour chemotherapy helpline for urgent advice and support.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We are closed on Saturday 25th November for staff training.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Stephanie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.