Taking medication - with food

This report seems to me to contain really important information and shows how much more research is needed: tinyurl.com/33lqhk

Thanks for link Phoebe…really interesting.

For anyone curious…its a report of some research showing that if tykerb (lapatinib) is taken with food rather than on an empty stomach, that lower doses of the drug are needed to be effective. Important cost implications and quality of life implications.

Jane

It is an interesting piece of research. Grapefruit interacts with quite a few meds, I have been told not to take it with my chemo at all.

There was an article in the paper (Mail?) earlier this week recommending that women with bc don’t take grapefruit at all. I can’t remember the reason - sorry!

Following my last posting I just found the article. It says that eating grapefruit can increase the risk of bc by almost a third because it boosts blood levels of oestrogen. The study was carried out by the universities of South California and Hawaii and seems to concentrate on post-menopausal women.

There are two different lines of research in this discussion: one is the report about grapefruit and post-menopausal women, the other was about the way in which taking tykerb with food (particularly with fats) increased the absorption of tykerb.

My post was the latter which - as Jane says - has enormous implications on cost and quality of life. It also leads to the thought “How many other drugs should be taken with food”. More research is clearly needed.